AOSC 433/633: Clarification, Problem Set #1

Ross Salawitch

Feb 13, 2017, 10:19:35 AM2/13/17
to aosc433-0...@coursemail.umd.edu, aosc633-0...@coursemail.umd.edu, aosc633-a...@coursemail.umd.edu, atmospheric-chemist...@googlegroups.com, Pamela Wales, chem433-0...@coursemail.umd.edu

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to clarify a potentially confusing statement in Question 3, part B, of Problem Set #1.

The original problem set had read:

Also, the molecular weight of Carbon and the mean molecular weight of air, 28.8 grams/mole, should appear in your solution, as well as the molecular weight of CO2.

but it should actually read:

Also, the mean molecular weight of air, 28.8 grams/mole, should appear in your solution, as well as the molecular weight of CO2.

In other words, do not need to use the molecular weight of C.

Sorry for the confusion.  I have updated the PDF file of the P Set, at http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~rjs/class/spr2017/problem_sets/ACC_2017_ps01.pdf, with bold faced font for this sentence.

Much thanks to a student and Pam for bringing this to my attention!

Finally, Pam will be available in Jull 2106 throughout the day to help if anyone has questions.

Cheers,

Ross

--
Ross Salawitch