Welcome to AOSC 433 / 633

Ross Salawitch

Jan 20, 2017, 1:51:01 PM1/20/17
to aosc433-0...@coursemail.umd.edu, aosc633-0...@coursemail.umd.edu, aosc633-a...@coursemail.umd.edu, atmospheric-chemist...@googlegroups.com, Pamela Wales

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are having an enjoyable winter break.  I am using the UMEG generated alias to welcome folks to AOSC 433 & AOSC 633, Atmospheric Chemistry and Climate, which will start on Thurs, Jan 26, at 2 pm in room 2416 of the building now known as "Atlantic", and formerly known as "Computer and Space Sciences" (bldg #224 on campus maps).

Pam Wales, a graduate student included in this email, will be helping me teach the class.

I am writing simply to welcome folks and let you know:

a) I will maintain my own website for the class at:

http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~rjs/class/spr2017 that will also be tied into the ELMS page https://myelms.umd.edu/courses/1217274

b) we will be using the 7th Edition of Chemistry and Context by ACS as the "required" text for the class because this "N-1" version of this document, which I helped write, is available used at very low cost from a variety of sellers and, most importantly, can also be rented from me for $20 that will be returned at the end of the semester.

c) we will also be using readings from a book my team wrote, just published, and available via open access at http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-46939-3

Unless you feel compelled to keep all of your textbooks, my suggestion is to rent Chemistry and Context from me.  We'll begin making the book available at the first class.

Also, if you have free time and want to get a head start, you could download and read Chapter 1 of our just released book:

http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-46939-3_1.pdf

You will be asked to have read this entire chapter (and a lot of other readings) prior to the first exam, which right now I have penciled in as being on 28 Feb (this date subject to change).

Enjoy your last week of break.

Cheers,

Ross

--