Political boundaries (1900s)

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:18:12 AM9/7/14
[Repost from 2014-01-23] @maxolson:

So, let's get this started: I think the best way to approach building a political/cultural map of history is to start top down (with country borders & major cities) and not bottom up (local streets & buildings).

Further, one of the times with the most interest + changes + data is the mid-20th Century, spanning both World Wars.

So I think we should start with this period and do a map every 10 years or so.

I've got a Shapefile I got started for the 1930s, but there are missing European countries, plus Russia's west border and Italy's east border. There are probably many things I missed in the Middle East / Asia / Israel and elsewhere too.

I've been getting the boundaries primarily from the David Rumsey Collection: http://www.davidrumsey.com/. You can register there for HQ scans of the maps.

There might be a different/better way to collaborate on a map like this through Github but for now I think this is fine.

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:20:12 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com
[Repost from 2014-01-24] @rnealon:

So I think I'll do 5 year intervals to start things off: 1930, 1935, 1940, 1945... what do you think?

Once I get the first layer down I think the rest will be more or less easy as their shouldn't be such radical changes.

You've probably seen it... they have one for each year. I'm going off of that more or less but confirming and using other sources for finer detail.

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:21:37 AM9/7/14
[Repost from 2014-01-24] @maxolson:

Wow no I haven't seen that. Can't believe I never found that in my research. Definitely looks very helpful.

Every 5 years would be great if you can get the data, but if you can't feel free to make the interval whatever you need. So if there is little data for a certain period you can just make the period start/end whenever. The database allows for periods of any length (but not less than 1 year).

I think it's good to use multiple sources but when there is conflict I would go to the old maps that were made around the time.

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:23:03 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com
[Repost from 2014-01-25] @rnealon:

Agreed.

So working on political boundaries is probably the best thing to do right now?

Should we set up a github repo?

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:24:04 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com
[Repost from 2014-01-25] @maxolson:

I think having an overall view with of the world will be a great starting point for everything else.

A github repo for the shapefiles you mean?

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:25:34 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com
[Repost from Sat Jan 25 2014 10:43:19 GMT-0800 (PST)] @rnealson:

Sounds good. You are using natural earth right?

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:26:28 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com

Sat Jan 25 2014 11:11:36 GMT-0800 (PST) @maxolson:

Yes but feel free to use any source if you know of something better.

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:27:51 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com
Sat Jan 25 2014 12:00:10 GMT-0800 (PST) @rnealon:

No I like natural earth... plus the guy who started it is a coworker.

Also... for example Wikipedia is not including Bhutan as part of the british indian empire ut historical maps are.

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:29:08 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com

Sat Jan 25 2014 12:14:44 GMT-0800 (PST) @rnealon:

What do you make of this:

The British government promptly recognized the new monarchy, and in 1910 Bhutan signed the Treaty of Punakha, a subsidiary alliance which gave the British control of Bhutan\'s foreign affairs and meant that Bhutan was treated as an Indian princely state. This had little real effect, given Bhutan\'s historical reticence, and also did not appear to affect Bhutan\'s traditional relations with Tibet. After the new Union of India gained independence from the United Kingdom on 15 August 1947, Bhutan became one of the first countries to recognize India\'s independence. On 8 August 1949, a treaty similar to that of 1910, in which Britain had gained power over Bhutan\'s foreign relations, was signed with the newly independent India.[19]

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:29:52 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com
Sat Jan 25 2014 12:31:04 GMT-0800 (PST) @maxolson:

Hmm... I think it should be included in India and then as a state in another layer (later on).

Similar to the African countries under colonial rule.

Max Olson

Sep 7, 2014, 2:30:43 AM9/7/14
to atlastor...@googlegroups.com

Sun Jan 26 2014 08:18:26 GMT-0800 (PST) @rnealon:

Ok, ya i'll keep it there until India's independence.

I'm working on the indian sub as the colonials there are good for about 100 years.