Two more completed blocks plus...

Sandi McRae Duchesne

Mar 8, 2023, 3:11:29 PM3/8/23
to Maine Bird Atlas Block Busters, Glen Mittelhauser
Umsaskis Lake West NE and Third Musquacook Lake NE are now complete. We've also spotted some rarely seen mammals on this trip, including fishers, river otter, and Canada lynx.  All three were first-ever sightings in the wild  for our friend Tom, visiting from Virginia.

Weather and time permitting,  we'll put more time in Grand Lake Seboeis NW tomorrow on the way home.  The Oxbow Road only passes through the northwest corner of this block, although there is a nice unplowed road that traverses the block north to south. We didn't bring snowshoes on this trip, and it would feel contrary to the purpose of the MBA to walk the same small stretch of road back and forth multiple times in a single day to get the required hours - otherwise we would try to complete that block tomorrow as well.  But it's an easy and scenic drive in from Route 11, so hopefully someone with snowshoes can finish it off now that we've got it started.