Efforts in Northwestern Maine

Logan Parker

Mar 10, 2023, 9:07:58 AM3/10/23
to Maine Bird Atlas Block Busters
Hello all,

I’ve been working on a number of blocks here in the NW during the late winter period.

The following are underway and on track for completion by 15 March:
- Hardwood Mtn SW SW
- Black Brook NW
- St. Zacharie North CE
- Hardwood Mtn SE SE
- Baker Lake SE
- Turner Pond CE
- Wadleigh Pond NW
- Allagash Lake NW
- Allagash Pond CW
- Doucie Brook NW
- Baker Lake NW NE

Also, while traveling to the area yesterday, I stopped and spent 55 minutes in Hurricane Hill SE. I won’t be able to get back to that one, but I figured I’d get sometime in hopes that someone else might be able to finish it. If time permits, I’ll try to cover Hinckley Hill NW (but can’t guarantee it).

The following are complete for early and late winter:
- Daaquam NE
- Beaver Pond SE CW
- Eastman Brook NW
- Houlton Pond NW
- Charles Pond CW
- St. Pamphile SE
- Depot Lake SE
- Mary L Pond NW
- Burntland Pond SE
- Rocky Mountain SW CW
- East Lake SE SE
- Ninemile Deadwater NW
- Blue Brook CW
- Seven Island CW

The birds are still fairly scattered and often sparse, but the wildlife abounds. Lots of moose, coyote, fox, deer, otter, hare, squirrel, weasel, and mink actively. I got great looks at a lynx on my way out last week. Hard to believe we’re in the final days now… though you can read signs the impending spring even in the far north. Every mud-stained icy road and tree laden with swollen buds means change is afoot. Enjoy these last days of effort!

Logan
--
Logan Parker
Ecologist