Getting Started with a Simple Use Case

Joel Confino

Apr 19, 2012, 11:55:09 AM4/19/12
to Atlas Development and Discussion
I've got Atlas built on my machine. Eclipse is happy. I read the
documentation, and I read a decent chunk of the code. I have a basic
understanding of the main abstractions: provisioners, initializers,
installers. Cool. Now I want to deploy something simple.

The simplest use case I can think of is deploying a new WAR file to a
Tomcat instance that already exists. Based on the docs I was going to
use the StaticTaggedServerProvisioner but it looks like that class
went away in the code. Is it coming back or is there another way to
accomplish the same thing? Is the uGalaxy installer the best option
for zip files or packages? I did see zip and tar file installers in
the code.

Basically can someone provide a simple configuration or some pointers
to create a simple configuration (e.g. Atlas Hello World that all runs
locally) to get a basic single-Java-war web app up and running
locally. Ultimately I want to try out Atlas for continuous delivery
(continuousdelivery.com) writing custom provisioners / initializers /
installers as needed for my particular environment but I want to start
small.

Brian McCallister

Apr 19, 2012, 12:49:04 PM4/19/12
to atla...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Joel Confino <joel.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got Atlas built on my machine.  Eclipse is happy.  I read the
> documentation, and I read a decent chunk of the code.  I have a basic
> understanding of the main abstractions: provisioners, initializers,
> installers.  Cool.  Now I want to deploy something simple.
>
> The simplest use case I can think of is deploying a new WAR file to a
> Tomcat instance that already exists.  Based on the docs I was going to
> use the StaticTaggedServerProvisioner but it looks like that class
> went away in the code.  Is it coming back or is there another way to
> accomplish the same thing?  Is the uGalaxy installer the best option
> for zip files or packages?  I did see zip and tar file installers in
> the code.

The docs are pretty out of date, unfortunately :-(

> Basically can someone provide a simple configuration or some pointers
> to create a simple configuration (e.g. Atlas Hello World that all runs
> locally) to get a basic single-Java-war web app up and running
> locally.  Ultimately I want to try out Atlas for continuous delivery
> (continuousdelivery.com) writing custom provisioners / initializers /
> installers as needed for my particular environment but I want to start
> small.

https://github.com/brianm/wp-atlas spins up wordpress, mysql,
memcached on ec2. I'll make sure it still works this morning :-)

https://github.com/giftuddi/atlas-model has the various things I used
for examples at ETE.

The cheapest way to get started is probably doing provisioning on
vmware. I have some base images for working with ubuntu, but cannot
afford the s3 bill to generally distribute them as I haven't figured
out how to get them down below about 1 gig. It is very doable I am
sure, I just haven't spent the time to figure it out :-) Ping me on IM
( jabber/gtalk bri...@skife.org ) for a download link if you'd like
them.

The easiest way to get started is in ec2, though slightly less
convenient then vmware you don't need to get vmware desktop or fusion
setup and build or find automatically-copyable images that work
without the popup saying "did you copy or move this?".

-Brian