Can Atlas be run in a webpage / web browser

Nikhil VJ

Jan 6, 2015, 11:33:10 PM1/6/15
to atla...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Apologies if this is too much of a noob question:
Can Atlas be run in a webpage / web browser?

Why I'm asking :
We're putting together an offline educational package that will be run on a local LAN server; have to deliver all the content over web browser.
I've downloaded "india.map" and loaded it on Atlas .exe application.
Now we need to deploy the same on a webpage / web server.

Emux

Jan 7, 2015, 2:34:24 AM1/7/15
to Nikhil VJ, atla...@googlegroups.com
Atlas is made from pure Java so it *could* be hosted in a web page,
probably as a Java applet (by using the jar), but I have not tried it.

What do you want to accomplish, show offline OSM maps in a web browser?

--
Emux
Cruiser - Atlas

Nikhil VJ

Jan 7, 2015, 9:59:27 AM1/7/15
to Emux, atla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emux,

Yes. But I'm realizing now that the .map file would also probably need
to be downloaded at the client station. Not a problem.. as we're doing
this over LAN. I reckon I can just make a .zip of the Atlas
application with the .map file in it, and share it for download over
the local website.

Is there an equivalent of this .map file loading technique that can be
hosted and served from a local web server? Not for the entire OSM
thing, of course.. just this india vector data.

Some more queries : But I'll write them in another thread with
appropriate subject.
> Cruiser <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Cruiser> - Atlas
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Atlas_%28navigation_application%29>

Cheers,
Nikhil
+91-966-583-1250
Pune, India
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
http://www.nikhilsheth.tk

Emux

Jan 7, 2015, 10:06:22 AM1/7/15
to Nikhil VJ, atla...@googlegroups.com
You can load the map file in the clients from a shared folder at the server,
though the best performance would be to have all resources locally.

der.steph...@googlemail.com

Jan 7, 2015, 2:36:29 PM1/7/15
to atla...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nikhil,

maybe you can have a closer look at https://github.com/ffwdme/ffwdme.js ... does it come near your aim in any way?

Stephan

Nikhil VJ

Jan 8, 2015, 8:37:14 AM1/8/15
to der.steph...@googlemail.com, atlas-app
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for pointing that out, but I'm afraid I can't understand what's there.. the core function seems to be routing : not looking for that.

My understanding of local server-based sites is this : I download and unzip phpbb / joomla etc to the www folder (using UwAmp portable server on windows), and over the browser go to http://[IP addr]/foldername, and from there I can follow the walkthrough, supply the dbname, username, password; and install the site. Next time I come again to the same path, there's a website or a forum or so running with login-id's, signups, posting, commenting etc the same way they operate on the internet.

So in this framework, I need to find out how to have a webpage that has an interactive map in it that people can pan and zoom; and the data populating that map is coming not from the internet but from the local server. Can't have too much size.. uptill 1GB is ok. The india.map data is perfect for this : vectors that don't hog too much size. So far the solutions I'm seeing involve downloading something like 30+ GBs.

Android apps seem to do this natively.. local caching after browse-once. So wondering if the same can happen on normal computers too.. or can there be a limited offline (meaning on local server) set of data which gets loaded instead of fetching from the internet. We'll be on a Apache/PHP server.

If you can point me to an actual working example whose source code I can see, then I'll able to reverse engineer from there.

--
Cheers,
Nikhil
+91-966-583-1250
Pune, India
Self-designed learner at Swaraj University <http://www.swarajuniversity.org>
http://www.nikhilsheth.tk

Nikhil VJ

Jan 8, 2015, 8:35:31 PM1/8/15
to der.stephan.stephan, atlas-app
Hi Friends,

Trying out the instructions given at these links, hopefully that will do the job.. with bitmap tiles. Would have loved to explore the vector way, though. I'm loving Maperitive's feature of downloading OSM data for a marked region.. I reckon that's what's in the india.map etc files. Would have loved to simply deploy that. But going over to bitmap tiles (albeit generated locally in Maperitive; not scraped from osm!) if that's the simplest way.

http://ksmapper.blogspot.in/2011/08/simple-openstreetmap-tile-rendering.html

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenLayers_Local_Tiles_Example