Themes and styles question - How make make my own

blake.g...@hotosm.org

Jun 14, 2015, 3:23:12 PM6/14/15
to atla...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

First off, thank you very much for Atlas, HOT is currently working with UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response (UNMEER) in W. Africa to evaluate some options for one part of their work and Atlas looks like it is going to come very close to fulfilling their needs (still trying to make sure it will do what they require).

Toward that end we were hoping to create a custom render theme for them and are wondering the best way to accomplish that is.

I am not quite clear on the what is a theme and a style and how they differ or how to create them.

We are pretty familiar with MapCSS, CartoCSS, maperative type rendering rules, etc

Any advice or information on how to create rendering rules for Atlas would be most welcome.

Thank you again for making Atlas available!

Cheers,
Blake

Emux

Jun 14, 2015, 4:27:23 PM6/14/15
to atla...@googlegroups.com, blake.g...@hotosm.org
Hi,

Atlas uses internally Mapsforge for offline vector map rendering.

(Actually I'm one of Mapsforge developers)

Mapsforge uses render themes for rendering the map files on screen.
Render themes are xml files (along with their svg / png resources) and use rules similar to OSM Osmarender.

Styles were introduced in render themes to selectively turn rules on and off, in effect defining multiple layers in a map that can be controlled individually.

You can find more about render themes / styles at our wiki page.

The default included theme in Atlas is described here and you can use it for reference.
Another render theme implementation can be found here.
You'll probably need also the render theme xml schema for validation and learning.

I think the best course is to study a ready render theme, using it as guide for creating a new one or modifying it to your needs.

Thanks for using Atlas,
and don't hesitate asking for any additional info.

BTW Atlas equivalent for Android is Cruiser.

Best regards

--
Emux
Cruiser - Atlas

blake.g...@hotosm.org

Jun 14, 2015, 5:47:29 PM6/14/15
to atla...@googlegroups.com, blake.g...@hotosm.org
Opps, sorry, one more question:

So I download the mapsforge app and grabbed the renderthemev4 xml file and assets folder out of it, how would I covert src= paths to my windows file system instead of the internal assets syntax?

Any idea?

Cheers,
Blake

Emux

Jun 15, 2015, 2:34:25 AM6/15/15
to blake.g...@hotosm.org, atla...@googlegroups.com
On 15/06/2015 12:47 πμ, blake.g...@hotosm.org wrote:
So I download the mapsforge app and grabbed the renderthemev4 xml file and assets folder out of it, how would I covert src= paths to my windows file system instead of the internal assets syntax?

The resources (svg / png) in a render theme can come in multiple flavors (file, jar, assets).

For the rendertheme-v4.xml to work in file mode, you just need to place the xml file and the patterns / symbols folders in the same dir and do a replace all for the prefix "assets:" with "file:".