Hillshading/shading in Atlas

Holger Rusch

Jan 5, 2016, 10:38:11 AM1/5/16
to Atlas
Hi,

thanks for the great Software. Is it possible to get hillshading/shading in Atlas?
Or is it already in and I didnt found it?

Thank you.

Emux

Jan 5, 2016, 1:04:41 PM1/5/16
to Holger Rusch, Atlas
Hi,

Hill shading actually depends on the implementation of the maps.

Atlas can show 2 types of maps:

- Vector maps (Mapsforge compatible)
- Raster maps (see relevant menu)

In both types, if the maps are made with hill shading then Atlas will show them.

- Raster maps can be more easily made since the rendering is done at powerful servers and the result can be pushed to clients (like Atlas).
Currently I have integrated specific online raster servers, if there is need I could put a dialog for user to provide his own url pattern.

- Vector maps are more difficult to master with shading, since it's about what the vector engine (Mapsforge) supports for that in rendering rules.

Or do you mean something different, from what I understood?

--
Emux

Holger Rusch

Jan 5, 2016, 1:14:24 PM1/5/16
to Emux, Atlas
Hi,

I would like to use hillshading with the vector maps from openandromaps. There is no shading included.

Software like Locus on Android generates hillshading by the use of SRTM data which has to reside in a special directory.

Is there a way to do this in Atlas?

Cu!

Emux

Jan 5, 2016, 1:20:15 PM1/5/16
to Holger Rusch, Atlas
Ok, now I understand.

No, currently Atlas does not support such functionality.

But nevertheless it's a very interesting idea to implement in the future!

--
Emux

Holger Rusch

Jan 5, 2016, 1:31:46 PM1/5/16
to Emux, Atlas
Ok.

Would like to see it. Go! :)

Thanks for the great tool. Looking forward for stuff to come.

Cu!