July 2021 Singing Reminder

John Plunkett

Jun 27, 2021, 8:01:47 PM6/27/21
to AtlantaSinging

July 2021 Singing Reminder

July 1 - First Thursday Singing at Emory Presbyterian ‘Christmas in July’ singing. 7:00pm-9:00pm (or until it’s too dark!)   We’ll plan to sing outside again (weather permitting), Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way. We will be singing Christmas songs from the Sacred Harp, An American Christmas Harp, and The Eclectic Harmony. Feel free to bring copies of any 4-shape Christmas songs you like. Holiday snacks and attire encouraged! Info: David Brodeur, david -at- davidbrodeur -dot- com or Lisa Bennett, (404) 402-9562, AtlantaSinging -at- gmail -dot- com

July 3 & 4, 1st Sunday and Saturday before, 9:00 am Central Time on Saturday, 9:30 am CT on Sunday. Henagar-Union Convention, Liberty Church, 2 miles north of Henagar AL on Liberty Road.  From Henagar Crossing, take Hwy 40 west to the Farmers Telephone Cooperative. Turn right and go to dead end. Turn right, take first left past Henagar Methodist Church (Liberty Rd). Church is on right, approximately 1.5 miles. Info: David Ivey (256) 258-8660, david -at- davidivey -dot- com

July 10, Saturday before 2nd Sunday, 10:00 am, Flat Shoals Primitive Baptist Church, 2052 Fairview Road, Stockbridge, GA. Info: Jesse Roberts, (678) 386-6438  jroberjr -at- bellsouth -dot- net.  10am-3pm with dinner on the grounds.

Note: Please note that if you have not been vaccinated, and you want to come, make sure that you are not running a high fever, you’re not coughing, or you’re not experiencing shortness of breath (SO2 level should be 90 or higher); if so, stay home. If you are symptom-free and have not been vaccinated, we request that you wear a mask at all times (except while eating) and practice social distancing.  The square will be set up with the chairs 8” apart, and we expect you to spread out the same way if you’re sitting on benches. The leader will be 10’ away from the first row of singers (standing on an X on the floor). At lunch, sanitize your hands before you set out your food, and sanitize them at the front of the lunch line before you get your plates, eating utensils, and napkins. Drinks will be poured and handed to you. If you go back for seconds, throw your first plate and utensils away and start the process over. If anyone has a tailgate tent, please bring it; we plan to set up some tailgate tents outside the dining area, so we can distance some while eating.

July 10, Saturday, 10:30 am, John C. Campbell Folk Art School, Brasstown NC.  Christian Harmony Singing. Cancelled for 2021.

July 11, 2nd Sunday, 1:15 pm to 3:15 pm. Hardeman Primitive Baptist Church, 3965 Glenwood Rd., Decatur GA. Singing from the 1911 J. L. White edition of the Sacred Harp. Cancelled for 2021 (planning to have the all day singing in September)

July 18, 3rd Sunday, 9:30 am Central Time, Muscadine Methodist Church, The annual singing is scheduled to be held at State Line Church. State Line Church, near Muscadine (Cleburne County) AL. Go west on U.S. Hwy 78 until you cross the Alabama State Line, take the first road to the right (County Road 69), then take the next right (County Road 207, dirt road), then 500 yards and church will be on left.  GPS:  33.755401, -85.363110 . Info: Cecil Roberts, 770-856-0405.  NOTE: Please contact Cecil beforehand, to confirm that this singing is still going to take place.

July 18, 3rd Sunday evening, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm, 3rd Sunday evening, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm,  Haygood Memorial United Methodist Church, 1015 E Rock Springs Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306.  This will include an Intermediate Lesson on Anthems (Rose of Sharon in particular) with Andy Ditzler from 6:00pm-6:25pm, with singing to follow from 6:30p-8:30p.  Info: Amy Wells at 404-436-4522 or amyarmstrongmidwife -at- gmail -dot- com for additional information.  WE WILL PLAN TO MEET OUTSIDE (under the big tree where we sang the other day), weather permitting.

July 27, Saturday, 10:00 am, The Swannanoa Gathering Shape Note Singing (Sacred Harp, Christian Harmony, Southern Harmony), in the Morris Pavilion at Warren Wilson College, Swannanoa, NC, near Asheville. Cancelled for 2021.

 July 28, 4th Sunday, 10:00 am, Mount Zion Memorial, Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, is cancelled for 2021.

July 31 & Aug 1 - Chattahoochee Convention, Wilson’s Chapel, Crossplains Community near Carrollton, GA. 10am-3pm.