Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter December 2023

John Plunkett

Nov 30, 2023, 4:55:05 AM11/30/23
to AtlantaSinging

December 2023 ASH Singing Update

Greetings All!!  A few opportunities to gather this month and sing!!

No 1st Thursday Emory Presbyterian singing for December. We will hold the annual Atlanta Sacred Harp Holiday Singing on Sunday, December 17th at Holy Trinity Parish in Decatur, GA.  Please note the details below.

Saturday and Sunday, Dec 2nd & 3rd - Florida State Sacred Harp Convention (Cooper Book). Saturday 10:00am, Sunday 9:30am. Dinner on the Grounds, Sacred Harp Singing Hall, 1387 County Road 177, Bonifay, Florida. Fairfield Inn & Suites,, 100 Brabham Drive, Enterprise, AL, 334-348-1580.  Contact - Stanley Smith.

Saturday and Sunday, Dec 9th &10th - the Georgia State Christian Harmony Convention will be held at Sweetwater Memorial Chapel,1000 Pleasant Hill Road, Lawrenceville, GA. Singing begins at 10:00 a.m. both days. Songbooks will be available on site to buy or borrow. The venue, with lovely acoustics, is located approximately 2 miles east of I-85 northeast of Atlanta. Dinner on the grounds: If convenient, please bring a covered dish  to share for lunch at noon both days. There are kitchen facilities on site. Accommodations: Numerous well-known hotels are located at  I-85/Pleasant Hill exit 104. Health protocols: If you have symptoms of or known recent exposure to a contagious illness, please stay home and we'll sing for you this year. For your own protection, appropriate vaccinations and boosters are advisable. And for the consideration of others, self-testing for COVID each day of singing is recommended.  Some COVID self-test kits will be available on site. Masks are optional.  And please buckle up. Contacts: Shannon Primm, sprimm-at-yahoo-dot-com.

Sunday, December 17th. 9:30 am -1:30 pm ET. Holly Springs Primitive Baptist Church. US 27 South near I-20, Bremen, GA 30110. Recording session for the new revision.

Sunday, Dec 17th, ASH Holiday singing, Holy Trinity Parish,515 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Decatur, GA 30030. This singing combines the 1st Thursday and 3rd Sunday singings for this month.  Sunday afternoon in Tisdale Hall, Holy Trinity Parish, Decatur; December 17, 3-7pm, with singing from 3-5pm, “supper on the ground” from 5-6pm, followed by more singing from approx 6-7pm. Beginners welcome—no experience needed! We'll sing from the Sacred Harp, Christmas Harp, and Eclectic Harmony, with loaner books available. If you’d like to sing other holiday songs printed in 4 shapes, please bring copies (approx 20). If you’re able, please bring a covered dish to share. To reduce risk of respiratory illness spread, we’ll monitor and adjust airflow as needed; Tisdale Hall is a large and well-ventilated space. Feel free to mask if desired, check your vaccination status as appropriate, and do stay home this time if you develop any symptoms of illness. Hope you’ll join us to to “sing in” the holiday season! Amy Wells, amyarmstrongmidwife-at- gmail -dot- com.

New Years Day, January 1st, 2023 - All day Georgian Harmony singing at the home of John and Elsie Hollingsworth.  10:00am start.  (GPS coordinates for the Hollingsworth’s mailbox: 34.152384, -83.322767. Directions: From Athens: Take Hwy 29 north, towards Danielsville. At the light near the Ingles store, bear left onto Hwy 106. Just past the 9-mile marker, turn left onto Adams Clarke Rd (at the Hill's Automotive sign). Go 1.5 miles to mailbox on right numbered 1574. When driveway splits, bear left. From I-85 North: Take Exit 149 to Hwy 441 at Banks Crossing outlet malls. Turn right onto 441 South. Go about 5 miles to Hwy 98 and turn left. In about 8 miles you'll reach a 4-way stop in Ila. Turn right and go 0.8 mile, then turn right on Adams Clarke Rd, go 1.5 miles to mailbox on right numbered 1574. When driveway splits, bear left.   Dinner on the grounds at noon. John Hollingsworth, 706-789-3916, john -at- billnet -dot- org

Hope you all have a safe, healthy, and joyous holiday season!!