May 2023 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

John Plunkett

Apr 30, 2023, 8:48:54 AM4/30/23
to AtlantaSinging

May 2023 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

May 4th - 1st Thursday - the monthly singing held the 1st Thursday of the month at Emory Presbyterian Church singing from The Sacred Harp and The Eclectic Harmony. 7:00pm - 9:00pm, Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way. Plan is to sing outside.   Info: Jim Neal at jim_neal-at-bellsouth-dot-net, or Amy Wells, amyarmstrongmidwife-αt-gmail-dot-com.

May 6th Saturday, 116th Etowah Christian Harmony Spring Singing, Etowah Lions Club, 447 Etowah School Rd., Hendersonville, NC 28739, 10a-3p, DOG at noon, please bring a dish to share. We will sing from William Walker’s “The Christian Harmony” Copies of the most recent reprint of Walker’s 1873 edition will be available for loan and for sale.

May 6th Saturday - Huntsville (Alabama) All Day Singing, 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 pm (CT) NOTE SPECIAL LOCATION FOR THIS YEAR: Heritage Primitive Baptist Church, 390 Johns Rd NW, Huntsville, AL 35806. Contact David Ivey

May 7th - 1st Sunday - Eugene Forbes Memorial Sacred Harp Singing - Mt. Zion Primitive Baptist Church, Ashland, AL. 9:30am (Central) with dinner on the grounds at noon.  Church is 5 miles south of Ashland on County Road 5. Contact: Sheila Harris.

May 13th - Saturday before the 2nd Sunday - The Pumpkintown Shape Note Singing (formerly the Furman University Singing) will be held on the Saturday before the second Sunday in May, from 10am until 3pm, at the Oolenoy Community House. We will sing from the Sacred Harp (1991) and the Christian Harmony (2010). We will celebrate our return to singing with a traditional dinner-on-the-grounds.

This is a two-room schoolhouse built in the late 19th century, now a site for traditional music performances and jams. (See their Facebook page for pictures: https://www.facebook.com/oolenoybluegrass/.) The address is 5301 Dacusville Hwy, Pickens, SC 29671. It is about 13 miles north of Easley, SC on SC Hwy 135, although those traveling from the north or west may want to access it from Scenic Hwy 11. (Check Google Maps for detailed directions.) The building has a refrigerator, oven, and microwave. We encourage everyone to be responsible for their own well-being and to be considerate of the other participants. Don’t come if you have Covid symptoms or if you think you may have been exposed recently. We will have hand sanitizer, anti-bacterial soap, and disposable food service gloves available for the safety of all singers and visitors. For more information, please contact me at davefarmer-at-charter-dot-net. You may also call me at (864) 676-9003 (home) or (864) 605-8236 (cell). Please join us May 13th  in metropolitan Pumpkintown!

May 21st , 3rd Sunday - Cane Creek Church, 3 1/2 miles east of Heflin AL on hwy 78. 10am start with DOG at noon. Info: Glenda Collins

May 21st 3rd Sunday evening, Haygood United Methodist Church 1015 E Rock Springs Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306.  6:30-8:30 pm. Plan to meet in the Fellowship Hall.  Info: Amy Wells at 404-436-4522 or amyarmstrongmidwife -at- gmail -dot- com for additional information.

Camp Fasola announces a change of venue for 2023 to Camp Lee in Anniston.

Camp was held annually at Camp Lee from 2003 through 2019 before the pandemic interruption. This change enables us to hold both Adult Camp and Youth Camp at the same location in the same week. Adults have the option of lodging offsite in hotel accommodations. Camp dates remain the same: Monday, July 3 to Friday, July 7.

Registration is extended. We request that you register by May 31st.

Details and online registration is available at CampFasola.org. You can also register by mail by downloading the registration form from the website.

Please let us know if you have questions: ca...@fasola.org

Looking ahead to June:

Holly Springs - This will be a one day singing this year on June 3rd (Saturday before the 1st Sunday).

Raymond Hamrick Birthday/Memorial Georgian Harmony Singing, Saturday before the 2nd Sunday at the Community Center in Roberta, GA

Annual ‘June’ singing at the Alpharetta City Hall, 2nd Sunday.

The National Sacred Harp Convention is scheduled to take place this year, but will only be on the Thursday and Friday before the 3rd Sunday in June.

Saturday before the 3rd Sunday - Christian Harmony singing at Blue Ridge Primitive Baptist Church in Chatsworth, GA (unconfirmed at this point in time)

3rd Sunday - annual Sacred Harp singing at Hopewell Church near Roopville, GA.