February 2023 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

John Plunkett

Jan 29, 2023, 7:45:45 AM1/29/23
to AtlantaSinging

February 2023 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

Feb 2nd, First Thursday, 7:00 PM  to 9:00 PM.  Indoor singing from The Sacred Harp and The Eclectic Harmony. Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way.  "Test-to-Sing" COVID precautions: Vaccination is required; don't come if you have any COVID or flu-like symptoms; same-day COVID antigen test required.  Test at home, and bring the details to be verified.  Tests are also available on site, if you arrive early. Details: https://bit.ly/3I9ePuK  Info: David Brodeur, david .αt. davidbrodeur -δόt- com, or Amy Wells, amyarmstrongmidwife-αt- gmail -δόt- com.

—-----------------------------------

David has been the facilitator/convener of the 1st Thursday singing for several years (thank you David!!) and the February singing will be his last in that capacity. If you would be interested, willing, able to take on this role beginning in March please let me (or David) know.  It primarily involves having the key to open/close the fellowship hall at EP, keeping up with the Eclectic Harmony and Sacred Harp loaners, and being a point of contact with the EP church contact.

—-------------------------------------

 Feb. 11th, Saturday before 2nd Sunday, 10:00, Emory Sacred Harp Singing, Cannon Chapel - We will spend the day singing and recording songs submitted for consideration for the new revision of The Sacred Harp in partnership with the Revision-Music Committee. Please join us for this opportunity to learn about and support the revision process. We anticipate singing more than 100 submitted songs over the course of the day. The singing will also feature a small exhibition of artifacts associated with previous revisions of The Sacred Harp, from Emory’s Pitts Theology Library. Pitts’s collections include the papers and songbooks of Sacred Harp composer and past music committee member Raymond C. Hamrick (1915–2014) and the papers of Sacred Harp scholar George Pullen Jackson (1874–1953).Date: Saturday, February 11, 10 am–2:30 pm ET, with dinner on the grounds at noon. Location: Cannon Chapel, on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. Directions and parking: All parking decks at Emory are free on weekends. Two of the closest parking options are the Peavine Lot and the Fishburne Deck. This PDF includes driving instructions to both parking decks and walking instructions from the parking locations to Cannon Chapel. Emory is also accessible via MARTA bus lines and free university shuttles.

February 12th, Sunday singing: We will hold a special singing from The Sacred Harp on Sunday, February 12, from 2–5 pm at Garrison Hall at Church of Our Saviour in Atlanta's Virginia Highlands neighborhood, 1068 N. Highland Ave., Atlanta, GA 30306.

 Health and safety information (for both singings): Masking is optional. Vaccination against COVID-19 is encouraged but not required. If you have symptoms of COVID, please stay home. Our policies align with Emory's current operating status, which is subject to change. For more information, see: https://www.emory.edu/forward/covid-19/. Questions: Contact Jesse P. Karlsberg (jesse.k...@gmail.com; 617-984-9378).

Feb. 19th, 3rd Sunday, 10:00 am, State University of West Georgia, Carrollton GA.- canceled for 2023.

Feb. 19th,  3rd Sunday evening, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm. Haygood Memorial United Methodist Church, 1015 E Rock Springs Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306.  Bring a snack and a friend.  Please be up to date re: vaccinations and stay home if you are having Covid, Flu, or other respiratory symptoms. Contact amyarmstrongmidwife-at-gmail-dot-com with any questions.  -

Feb. 25th, Saturday before 4th Sunday, JL White book (only), at Hardeman Primitive Baptist Church  3965 Glenwood Rd, Decatur, GA 30032 - 10:00am start with dinner on the ground at noon. Please stay home if you are having Covid, Flu, or other respiratory symptoms.

 Feb. 26th, 4th Sunday, 49th Annual University of Georgia Shape Note Singing. Sunday, No. 3 Railroad Street, Arnoldsville, GA (previously held at the UGA Botanical Gardens). Come sing from shape note hymnals originally published in the 1800's by Georgia composers - The Social Harp by John G. McCurry of Hart County (morning) and The Sacred Harp (1991 rev) by B.F. White of Hamilton (afternoon). Dinner on the grounds at noon. 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. Health protocols: If you have symptoms of or known recent exposure to a contagious illness, please stay home and we'll sing for you this year. For your own protection, appropriate vaccinations and boosters are advisable. And for the consideration of others, self-testing for COVID is recommended.  Some COVID self-test kits will be available on site. Masks are optional. Contact: fishman.mds at gmail.com. http://www.3railroad.org/index.php

—--------------------------------

Looking Ahead - Mark your calendars (details in March newsletter)!

March 5th (Sun) - Ephesus Schoolhouse - Ephesus, GA.

March 11th (Sat) - Georgian Harmony singing in Ila, GA.

March 18th (Sat) - 28th South Carolina State Singing in Memory of William Walker, Christian Harmony and Sacred Harp, Spartanburg, SC.

March 18th (Sat) - All-day Hoboken Singing - Cooper book, Mars Hill Church, Hoboken, GA.

March 25th/26th (Sat/Sun) - GA State Sacred Harp Convention - details TBD.

April 1st (Sat) a NEW all day singing! (NO FOOLIN’) - St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church in Dahlonega, GA.

April 22nd (Sat) - Atlanta All-Day Sacred Harp Singing - Westside Park Pavilion.

A note about this newsletter. I’m working towards limiting the singings listed to singings IN GEORGIA.  I will list out of state singings BY REQUEST of the organizer or a primary contact AND that are within a 2-3 hour drive from Atlanta (ie-not an overnight stay needed).

John