April 2023 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

John Plunkett

Mar 30, 2023, 2:29:19 PM3/30/23
to AtlantaSinging

April 2023 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

Some good opportunities to sing this month!

—-----------------------------------------------------------------

Apr. 1, Saturday before the 1st Sunday, 10:00a-3:00p. NEW All day singing at St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church, 1188 Hamp Mill Rd, Dahlonega, GA, All are welcome at the first annual Dahlonega all-day Sacred Harp singing. We will begin singing from The Sacred Harp (1991) at 10 am and conclude around 3 pm. There will be a dinner on the grounds at noon. Participants are invited to bring dishes. A full kitchen is available.

This is an indoor singing. We will be taking COVID precautions to protect our vulnerable community members. We ask that participants take an at-home test either before departing or upon arrival (tests will be available on-site beginning at 9 am). Please do not come if you are experiencing symptoms.

Apr. 2, 1st Sunday, 9:30 am Central Time, Edwardsville Baptist Church, Edwardsville, AL. 6 miles west of Fruithurst, just off U.S. Hwy. 78 (about 10 miles west of the Georgia - Alabama line).  contact: Cecil Roberts (770) 574-7832

April 6,Indoor singing from The Sacred Harp and The Eclectic Harmony. Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way.  "Test-to-Sing" COVID precautions: Vaccination is required; don't come if you have any COVID or flu-like symptoms; same-day COVID antigen test required.  Test at home, and bring the details to be verified.  Tests are also available on site, if you arrive early.  Info: Jim Neal at jim_neal-at-bellsouth-dot-net, or Amy Wells, amyarmstrongmidwife-αt-gmail-δόt-com.

Apr. 7, Friday evening before the second Sunday, 6:30 pm, Elder Homer Benefield, Katherine Benefield, and Mildred Johnson Memorial. Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church, 225 Shiloh Church Rd, Waco, GA. Info: Cecil Roberts (770) 574-7832

Apr. 8, Saturday before the 2nd Sunday, 10:00am (ET). The State Line singing will be held on the Saturday before the 2nd Sunday in April, April 8, at 9:00 CT, 10:00 ET. However, for this year only, circumstances dictate that we hold the singing at Holly Springs Church in Bremen, GA, instead of at State Line.

Due to lack of use during the Covid years, there are repairs that need to be made to State Line Church in order to make it usable for an April singing in Alabama. We really appreciate the generosity of Judy Henry and her family for allowing us to use Holly Springs on such short notice. We do, however, plan on having the singing at State Line next year. We hope to see you there. Please bring a covered dish for lunch.

Apr. 15, Saturday before 3rd Sunday, 10:00 am, Middle Georgia Sacred Harp Singing, Union Primitive Baptist Church, Goggans, GA. On Johnstonville Rd between I-75 and Barnesville. Info: Oscar McGuire . 478-955-6135 (text preferred)

Apr. 16, 3rd Sunday, 9:30 am Central Time, Old Harmony Church Singing, Abernathy, AL. Approximately 10 miles east of Heflin, AL. From I-20, take exit 210 (Ranburne/Muscadine exit), turn south (right) on County Rd. 60, go 1 mile; church will be on the right.

April 16, Third Sunday evening, Haygood Memorial United Methodist Church, 1015 E Rock Springs Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306.  6:30 to 8:30 PM. Singing will be indoors unless conditions change.  Masks are optional; vaccination is required.  For details, see https://bit.ly/3tYyqau  Info: Amy Wells at 404-436-4522 or amyarmstrongmidwife -at- gmail -dot- com

Apr. 22, Saturday before the 4th Sunday. Atlanta All-Day Sacred Harp Singing. Outdoors at Westside Park Pavilion, rain or shine.  https://bit.ly/3FPvDEh  10:00 AM to 2:30 PM, with dinner on the grounds at noon. 1991 Edition. Masks are optional; vaccination is required. Chair: Andy Ditzler, andy-at- andyditzler-dot-com

***April 23, Apr. 28, 4th Sunday, 9:30 am Central Time, Alewine-Laminack Memorial, St. Michael Lutheran Church, 2213 County Rd. 14, Fruithurst (Cleburne County), AL. Take US 78 to Fruithurst, turn north (County Road 35) at Post Office, go to County Road 49, follow it north to County Road 14 (Rosewood Community), turn right, go about 2 miles, church is on the left. GPS: 33.815000, -85.406839.***

April 30th - 2nd Fifth Sunday -  Mount Pisgah Primitive Baptist Church, 1753 Evergreen Rd, Sylvester, GA 31791 10 miles southwest of Sylvester—From I-75—Take Hwy. 112 to Ashburn and through Sylvester—Turn left on Evergreen/Doerun Road—Go 5.5 miles—Church on right— Always the second fifth Sunday each year. 10:30am start with dinner on the grounds.  Info: Tim Meeks. tmeeksify-at- gmail-dot-com

 *** Please contact: Cecil Roberts (770) 574-7832 to confirm.***