February 2024 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

John Plunkett

Jan 27, 2024, 5:15:09 PMJan 27
to AtlantaSinging

February 2024 Atlanta Sacred Harp Newsletter

If anyone is interested, a man in Gainesville, GA has 5/6 SH books he would like to sell - $10/ea.  A chance to build up your own personal loaner library! Contact me for his contact information if you’re interested.

The funeral for Alabama singer Tommie Spurlock will be Monday, January 29th with visitation at 9:30am (CT) and the service at 11:00am (CT).  Holman Funeral Home, 995 South Union Avenue, Ozark, AL.

—-----------------------------------------------

Feb 1st, First Thursday, 7:00 PM  to 9:00 PM.  First Thursday, 7:00 PM  to 9:00 PM.  Indoor singing from The Sacred Harp and The Eclectic Harmony. Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way.  "Test-to-Sing" COVID precautions: Vaccination is required; don't come if you have any COVID symptoms; same-day COVID antigen test required.  Test at home, and bring the details to be verified.  Tests are also available on site, if you arrive early.  Info:Jim Neal, jim_neal-at-bellsouth.net.

Feb. 3rd, Saturday, 10:00am-3:00pm, Shenandoah Harmony all day singing at St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church, 1188 Hamp Mill Rd, Dahlonega, GA, We will begin singing from The Shenandoah Harmony at 10 am and conclude around 3 pm. There will be a dinner on the grounds at noon. Participants are invited to bring dishes. A full kitchen is available.  Books available for loan or purchase. This is an indoor singing. We will be taking COVID precautions to protect our vulnerable community members. We ask that participants take an at-home test either before departing or upon arrival (tests will be available on-site beginning at 9 am). Please do not come if you are experiencing symptoms.

Feb. 3rd, Saturday before 1st Sunday, 9:30 am Central Time, Rotunda singing, 9 Alabama State Archives and History Building, 624 Washington Ave., Montgomery AL 4 books used: Sacred Harp 1991 and Cooper revisions, Christian Harmony, Colored Sacred Harp. BBQ lunch for $10.00.  Info:  Stefani Priskos 334-242-5143 or ste...@arts.alabama.gov

Feb. 4th, 1st Sunday, Uncle Bob Burnham and Ruth Brown Memorial Singing, 9:00 am Central Time, Wesley Foundation, Jacksonville State University, 510 N. Pelham Rd (Hwy 21), Jacksonville, AL. GPS: 33.8197580 -85.7620410 . Info: Kathy Williams,  (904) 610-1827 katzenhw.47 - at - gmail - dot -com or Tom George, tdgeorge325 at gmail dot com.

 Feb. 10th, Saturday before 2nd Sunday, 10:00, Emory Sacred Harp Singing, Cannon Chapel - 10 am–2:30 pm ET, with dinner on the grounds at noon. Location: Cannon Chapel, on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. Directions and parking: All parking decks at Emory are free on weekends. Two of the closest parking options are the Peavine Lot and the Fishburne Deck. This PDF includes driving instructions to both parking decks and walking instructions from the parking locations to Cannon Chapel. Emory is also accessible via MARTA bus lines and free university shuttles. Masking is optional. Vaccination against COVID-19 is encouraged but not required. If you have symptoms of COVID, please stay home. Our policies align with Emory's current operating status, which is subject to change. For more information, see: https://www.emory.edu/forward/covid-19/. Questions: Contact Jesse P. Karlsberg (jesse.k...@gmail.com; 617-984-9378).

Feb 11th, second Sunday in February, Roy Avery Memorial singing, Rocky Mount PBC, 4413 County Road 79. 3 miles south of Daviston Alabama off highway 22.

Feb. 18th,  3rd Sunday singing at 6:00p-8:30p, Church of our Saviour in Virginia-Highlands. 6:00 Singing School: Introductory Lesson at 6:00pm with Abigail Cannon on vocal health.  New and experienced singers are encouraged to come! 6:30-8:30 Singing, with a snack break at 7:30. Church of our Saviour, Garrison Hall (building across from main church entrance) 1068 North Highland Ave. Atlanta, GA 30306. Parking along N. Highland or Los Angeles. Metered spaces are free on Sunday. Contact Amy Wells at 404-436-4522 or amyarmstrongmidwife at gmail dot com for additional information.

Feb. 24th, Saturday before 4th Sunday, JL White book (only), at Hardeman Primitive Baptist Church  3965 Glenwood Rd, Decatur, GA 30032 - 10:00am start with dinner on the ground at noon. Please stay home if you are having Covid, Flu, or other respiratory symptoms.

 Feb. 25th, 4th Sunday, 50th Annual University of Georgia Shape Note Singing.  No. 3 Railroad Street, Arnoldsville, GA (previously held at the State Botanical Gardens). Come sing from shape note hymnals originally published in the 1800's by Georgia composers - The Social Harp by John G. McCurry of Hart County (morning) and The Sacred Harp (1991 rev) by B.F. White of Hamilton (afternoon). Dinner on the grounds at noon. 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. Health protocols: If you have symptoms of or known recent exposure to a contagious illness, please stay home and we'll sing for you this year. For your own protection, appropriate vaccinations and boosters are advisable. And for the consideration of others, self-testing for COVID is recommended.  Some COVID self-test kits will be available on site. Masks are optional. Contact: fishman.mds at gmail.com. http://www.3railroad.org/index.php

—--------------------------------

Looking Ahead - Mark your calendars (details in March newsletter)!

March 3rd (Sun) - Ephesus Schoolhouse - Ephesus, GA.

March 16th (Sat) - 29th South Carolina State Singing in Memory of William Walker - Christian Harmony and Sacred Harp, Spartanburg, SC.

March 16th (Sat) - All-day Hoboken Singing - Cooper book, Mars Hill Church, Hoboken, GA.  (Lloyd Hymnbook singing in the evening).

March 23rd/24th (Sat/Sun) - GA State Sacred Harp Convention - Alpharetta City Hall, Alpharetta, GA.

March 30th (Sat) - Georgian Harmony singing in Roberta, GA at the Roberta Community Center.

April 6th (Sat) 2nd  annual all day Sacred Harp singing. - St. Elizabeth’s Episcopal Church in Dahlonega, GA.

April 20th (Sat) - Atlanta All-Day Sacred Harp Singing - Westside Park Pavilion.

A note about this newsletter. I’m working towards limiting the singings listed to singings IN GEORGIA.  I will list out of state singings BY REQUEST of the organizer or a primary contact AND that are within a 2-3 hour drive from Atlanta (ie-not an overnight stay needed).

John