Atlanta Sacred Harp Singing Update March 2022

John Plunkett

Mar 1, 2022, 9:59:41 AMMar 1
to AtlantaSinging

Atlanta Sacred Harp Singing Update March 2022

With improving numbers on the Covid-19 front and the return of Daylight Savings Time and warmer weather, some of our regular local singings will get restarted (outdoors).

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar 5, Saturday before 1st Sunday, Emmaus Primitive Baptist Church Thomaston, GA - singing is permanently canceled.

Mar 6, 1st Sunday, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rogers Memorial, Ephesus School Auditorium, Roopville, GA.  Singing is canceled for 2022.

Mar 12,, Saturday before 2nd Sunday, Union Primitive Baptist Church,  Temple GA. Singing is permanently canceled.

 Mar 12, Saturday before 2nd Sunday (new singing) - Georgian Harmony singing at the home of John and Elsie Hollingsworth. 34.152384, -83.322767. Directions: From Athens: Take Hwy 29 north, towards Danielsville. At the light near the Ingles store, bear left onto Hwy 106. Just past the 9-mile marker, turn left onto Adams Clarke Rd (at the Hill's Automotive sign). Go 1.5 miles to mailbox on right numbered 1574. When driveway splits, bear left. From I-85 North: Take Exit 149 to Hwy 441 at Banks Crossing outlet malls. Turn right onto 441 South. Go about 5 miles to Hwy 98 and turn left. In about 8 miles you'll reach a 4-way stop in Ila. Turn right and go 0.8 mile, then turn right on Adams Clarke Rd, go 1.5 miles to mailbox on right numbered 1574. When driveway splits, bear left.   Dinner on the grounds at noon. John Hollingsworth, 706-789-3916, john -at- billnet -dot- org

Mar 19,, Saturday before 3rd Sunday, Hoboken Singing (Cooper Book), Hoboken Elementary School, Hoboken, GA - singing is canceled for 2022.

Mar 20, 3rd Sunday evening, Haygood United Methodist Church 1015 E Rock Springs Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306.  6:00 pm.  Info: Amy Wells at 404-436-4522 or amyarmstrongmidwife -at- gmail -dot- com for additional information.

Mar 26, Emory University, Atlanta, GA.   Emory Singing

Rescheduled for 2022 only to Saturday, March 26, 1:00 pm ET

Location: Covered outdoor space besides Cannon Chapel (our usual location), on the campus of Emory University

Special event: Enjoy a viewing of highlights from the papers of Sacred Harp scholar George Pullen Jackson (1874–1953), including some of the earliest photographs of Sacred Harp singing. Pam Helms, Jackson's granddaughter , recently donated a collection of his papers to Emory's Pitts Theology Library.

Parking: all parking decks at Emory are free on weekends. Two of the closest parking options are the Peavine Lot and the Fishburne Deck. This PDF (https://www.religiouslife.emory.edu/_includes/documents/sections/sacred-spaces/directions_to_cannon_chapel.pdf) includes driving instructions to both parking decks and walking instructions from the parking locations to Cannon.

Food and drink: although our plan is to sing outside, we will have access to the lower level of Cannon and its kitchen area (and restrooms!). We will break for snacks and drinks midway through the singing.

Covid precautions: we will follow precautions as indicated by Emory's current operating status at the time of the singing. For more information, see: https://www.emory.edu/forward/covid-19/operating-condition-status.html

Mar 26 and 27, 4th Sunday and Saturday before, 9:30 am, Georgia State Convention, singing is canceled for 2022.

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!

Atlanta All-Day Singing.  Save the date: Saturday, 23 April 2022.  Rain or shine.  Details about time and refreshments TBD.  New OUTDOOR venue: Westside Park Pavilion, Atlanta https://bit.ly/3FPvDEh  Chair: andy{at}andyditzler{dot}com  Facemasks are optional. Vaccination is required.

We are likely to restart the 1st Thursday singing (outside) at Emory Presbyterian Church in April as well.

ls for both of these in the April Singing reminder.