Atlanta Sacred Harp July 2024 Newsletter

1 view

John Plunkett

Jul 2, 2024, 7:39:21 AMJul 2
to AtlantaSinging

Atlanta Sacred Harp July 2024 Newsletter

July 4th - Community Singing at Camp FaSoLa - You are invited to the Camp Fasola Community Singing on Thursday, July 4th at 7:00 p.m. CT. The singing will be held in the Camp Lee Lakeview Lodge. Camp Lee is located at 70 Camp Lee Main Road, Anniston, AL 36207

July 6 & 7, 1st Sunday and Saturday before, 9:30 am Central Time both days. Henagar-Union Convention, Liberty Church, 2 miles north of Henagar AL on Liberty Road.  From Henagar Crossing, take Hwy 40 west to the Farmers Telephone Cooperative. Turn right and go to the dead end. Turn right, take first left past Henagar Methodist Church (Liberty Rd). Church is on the right, approximately 1.5 miles. Info: david -at- davidivey -dot- com. Social at the Ivey farm following the singing. Bring your instruments!

July 11 (2nd Thursday) - Singing at Emory Presbyterian Church. ‘Christmas in July’ singing. 7:00pm-9:00pm. We’ll sing in the fellowship hall.  Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way. We will be singing Christmas songs from the Sacred Harp, An American Christmas Harp, and The Eclectic Harmony. Feel free to bring copies of any 4-shape Christmas songs you like. Holiday snacks and attire encouraged! "Test-to-Sing" COVID precautions: Vaccination is required; don't come if you have any COVID or flu-like symptoms; same-day COVID antigen test required.  Test at home, and bring the details to be verified.  Tests are also available on site, if you arrive early. Info: Jim Neal at jim_neal-at-bellsouth-dot-net.

July 13 Saturday before the 2nd Sunday. The Roberts Memorial singing will be held at Ozias Primitive Baptist Church, 3389 GA-155 N, McDonough, GA 30253.  It's about 10 miles north of McDonough, GA. 9;30a-3p with covered dish lunch at noon.  Contact: Jesse Roberts, jroberjr-at-bellsouth-dot-net.

July 13, Saturday, 28th annual John C Campbell Folk School Singing, 1 Folk School Rd, Brasstown, NC 28902   Location: The Open House (open air pavilion by the Folk School Gardens) Campus Map: folkschool.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/campus-map.pdf Singing: 10:00 AM. - 3:00 PM, Dinner on the grounds at Noon. Come sing, learn the shapes, contemplate the poetry, and relish the power of voices raised together in song. These events welcome first-timer and experienced shape note singers to sing from the tune books Christian Harmony and The Sacred Harp. Experience the beauty of singing 4 parts unaccompanied. All shape note singings are free and open to the public.  Contact: Bill Hogan - hoganbill56 at gmail dot com

July 16, Tuesday, 7:00pm - Dahlonega Sacred Harp singing, We sing at the Vickery House on West Main Street, Dahlonega, GA. The Vickery House does not have a street address, but it is on Google Maps. Since we sing in the evenings, you can park in any UNG spot or right next to the back door of the Vickery House. We start with a brief introduction for newcomers at 6:45. Then we sing until at least 8:45, although sometimes we go a bit longer. All are welcome! Contact Esther Morgan-Ellis - emellis at gmail dot com.

July 18, Thursday - You are warmly invited to attend the 2024 Capital City Singing to be held at Old Alabama Town (Loeb Reception Center) in Montgomery, AL on THURSDAY, July 18, 9:30am - 3pm. We'll sing from four books: The Sacred Harp (1991 Edition), The Sacred Harp (Cooper Revision), The Christian Harmony, and The Colored Sacred Harp. Lunch will be Dutch treat; please plan to bring a sack lunch or enjoy one of Montgomery's tasty restaurants. Please see the full address below: Old Alabama Town,Loeb Reception Center, 301 Columbus Street, Montgomery, AL 36104. Contact - Stefani Priskos -  stefani at arts dot alabama dot gov

July 27, Saturday, 10:00 am, The Swannanoa Gathering Shape Note Singing, in the Morris Pavilion at Warren Wilson College, Swannanoa, NC, near Asheville. Note that Morris Pavilion is an 'open air' pavilion, but is shaded and used for classes taught during the summer. Dress to stay cool and bring your hand fans! Singing from The 1991 Sacred Harp, The Christian Harmony (2010 edition) and The Southern  Harmony. Directions: http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mbbweb/harmony/directions/WWC.html     Info: Sarah Kehrberg  smkehrberg -at- gmail -dot- com

July 28, 4th Sunday, 10:00 am, Mount Zion Memorial, Mt. Zion United Methodist Church, 49 N Prospect Ave, Mt Zion, GA 30150, 8.5 miles west of Carrollton on Hwy. 16. In Mt Zion, turn north on N. Prospect. The church is on the right, just behind the elementary school. Dinner on the grounds at noon.

Coming in August!

Aug 3 & 4 - Chattahoochee Convention, Wilson’s Chapel, Crossplains Community near Carrollton, GA. 10am-3pm.