Atlanta Sacred Harp June 2024 newsletter

John Plunkett

May 30, 2024, 8:33:59 AMMay 30
to AtlantaSinging

Atlanta Sacred Harp June 2024 Newsletter

REVISION SINGING!!  Sharpen those sight-reading skills!!  There will be a special, all day singing on June 30th (5th Sunday) at Holly Springs Church in Bremen, GA, 10:00am-3:00pm (plus a Sacred Harp warm-up afternoon singing at 1st Existential Church in Candler Park)

Please note - the 3rd Sunday singing at Church of Our Saviour is on hiatus for the summer!

The National Sacred Harp Convention has been discontinued.

June 1, Saturday before the 1st Sunday.  Please note that the annual singing at Holly Springs will again be SATURDAY ONLY  this year. 9:30 am. Holly Springs Primitive Baptist Church, near Bremen. Take exit #11 from I-20, turn south on Hwy. 27, go just past the top of the hill, follow the road markings to make a U-turn, immediately turn right beside the BP service station, turn left on Holly Springs Road, go to the dead end and turn left into the churchyard. Info Philip Langley - charlie5186 -at- yahoo-dot-com

June 6,  7:00 pm - 9:00 pm, First Thursday, 7:00 PM  to 9:00 PM.  Indoor singing from The Sacred Harp and The Eclectic Harmony. Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way.  "Test-to-Sing" COVID precautions: Vaccination is required; don't come if you have any COVID or flu-like symptoms; same-day COVID antigen test required.  Test at home, and bring the details to be verified.  Tests are also available on site, if you arrive early.  Info: Jim Neal at jim_neal-at-bellsouth-dot-net.

June 8, Saturday before the 2nd Sunday, 10:00 am, Raymond Hamrick Memorial Georgian Harmony Singing, Roberta Civic Center, Roberta GA. Dinner on the grounds at noon.  [You can still do  Dutch Treat lunch if you prefer, sack lunch, or nearby eateries include Subway, Big Chick, if they are open]. Directions: From Atlanta, I-75 South to I-475 South. Turn right/west onto Hwy 80W (Eisenhower Parkway) to Roberta. Or, from Macon, take Hwy 80W to Roberta. In Roberta, turn left/south on N. Mathews Street. It becomes S. Mathews Street when you cross over Agency Street. The Civic Center (an old wooden church with good acoustics), is located at 93 South Mathews Street, just south of the old part of the town, next to the recycling center. S Mathews St is one block east of Highway 341. Contact info: Oscar McGuire . 478-955-6135 (text preferred) -

June 9, 2nd Sunday, 10:00 am, the 156th annual "June Singing" in Alpharetta, Alpharetta City Hall, 2 Park Plaza, Alpharetta, GA 30009.  Singing will be in the Rotunda.  Covered dish at noon.  Parking is in front and to the side of the building and there is also a free parking deck. Directions: Take Ga. 400/U.S. 19 North to Exit 9, Haynes Bridge Road. Turn left onto Haynes Bridge Road. Cross over Old Milton Parkway, go around the traffic circle and then bear left. Parking deck on the left and City Hall/municipal building will be on the right. Info: Faye Holbrook, fholbrook218-@-gmail-dot-.com or Helen Bryson, 770-381-9093

June 15, Saturday before the 3rd Sunday, 10:30 am, Christian Harmony (2010) Blue Ridge Primitive Baptist Church, 134 Hyden Tyler Road,  Chatsworth, Georgia.  Covered dish lunch at noon. Contact info - Greg Smith - gsmith.gsmith-at-outlook-dot-com

 June 16, 3rd Sunday, 10:00 am, Hopewell Primitive Baptist Church, near Ephesus, GA. You are cordially invited to sing with us at Hopewell Primitive Baptist Church; 2227 Hopewell Road; Roopville, GA. This will be the 155th session. Take Georgia Hwy 100 (Exit 5 from I-20) south to Ephesus. Turn left onto Ephesus/ Roosterville Road, go 2.5 miles, turn right. We start at 10 AM. Contact: Karen Rollins  - krollins1040 at gmail dot com.

June 16, Third Sunday evening singings at Church of Our Saviour are on hiatus for the summer.  Info: Amy Wells at 404-436-4522 or amyarmstrongmidwife -at- gmail -dot- com.

June 29, Saturday -  First Existential Church, 470 Candler Park Drive, Atlanta, GA 30307, 12:30pm - 3:30pm. Pre-revision Sacred Harp singing in Atlanta! The Atlanta singing community welcomes you for an afternoon of singing from the Sacred Harp. We’ll have light refreshments at the break. Evening social - TBD. Contact Lauren Bock at fasolauren at gmail dot com.

June 30, 5th Sunday - There will be a special, all day singing at Holly Springs Church  in Bremen, GA, 10:00am-3:00pm for all interested in singing through (ie-sight-reading) the potential  songs selected by the Revision Committee for the next edition of the Sacred Harp!! The session will be recorded in order for the Revision Committee to make their final selections of new songs. (Lunch to be catered).  If you are planning to attend and are on Facebook, please indicate so on this Facebook event page - https://www.facebook.com/events/1548887269002643/  If you are not on Facebook and plan to attend this singing, please notify Nathan Rees at nathankrees at gmail dot com.

Coming in July

July 13th - Roberts Memorial Singing, Ozias Primitive Baptist Church, McDonough, GA (formerly held at Flat Shoals PBC in Stockbridge)

July 27th - Swannanoa Gathering - Morris Pavilion (outdoors), Swannanoa, NC

July 28th - Mt. Zion Singing, Mt. Zion UMC, Mt. Zion, GA

John