Atlanta Sacred Harp September 2022 Newsletter

John Plunkett

Aug 30, 2022, 7:41:50 PM8/30/22
to AtlantaSinging

ASH September 2022 Newletter

Sept 1, 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm, 1st Thursday Monthly Singing, singing from The Sacred Harp, 1991 Edition and The Eclectic Harmony. Robinson Fellowship Hall, behind Emory Presbyterian Church, 1886 North Decatur Rd, Atlanta GA 30307. Park behind the church, off Westminster Way.  Indoor singing with COVID antigen testing.  "Test-to-Sing" COVID precautions: Don't come if you have any COVID symptoms; same-day COVID antigen test required. Test at home and bring the details to be verified.  Tests are also available on site, if you arrive early. Details: https://bit.ly/3I9ePuK  Info: David Brodeur, david .at. davidbrodeur -dot- com or Amy Wells, amyarmstrongmidwife-at- gmail -dot- com."

Sept 3, Sat before 1st Sunday, 10:00am - Georgian Harmony Singing, Roberta Civic Center, 93 South Mathews Street, Roberta GA. Directions: From Atlanta, I-75 South to I-475 South. Turn right/west onto Hwy 80W (Eisenhower Parkway) to Roberta. Or, from Macon, take Hwy 80W to Roberta. In Roberta, turn left/south on N. Mathews Street. It becomes S. Mathews Street when you cross over Agency Street. The Civic Center (an old wooden church with good acoustics), is located at 93 South Mathews Street, just south of the old part of the town, next to the recycling center. S Mathews St is one block east of Highway 341. Contact/info: Oscar McGuire . 478-955-6135 (text preferred) - Contact Oscar with any questions.

Sept 4, 1st Sunday, 10:00 am, Shiloh-Littlevine Singing, Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church, south of Tallapoosa, GA  CANCELED FOR 2022.

Sept 6, Monday, 9:30 am Central Time, Labor Day Singing - Shoal Creek Church, Talladega National Forest, near Edwardsville, AL. Dinner on the grounds at noon..  GPS: 33.775774, -85.564088  https://goo.gl/maps/UCgkwPDsycC2  (note: cell coverage is weak/spotty)

Sept 10, Sat before the 2nd Sunday - Greenville-Pioneer Day Sacred Harp Singing: The Church of Greenville, 228 Ladean Ct, Simpsonville, SC 29680, 10:00 am - 3:00 pm. Dinner on the grounds.  We have loaner books and books for sale. Practice whatever cautions you feel are appropriate. Out of consideration for others, if you have cold/allergy symptoms please do not attend. Directions from I-385 in Simpsonville, SC: Take exit 27 and turn west. Go past Granview Dr and turn left on Ray E Talley Ct. Turn right on Ladean Ct.  Church is at the end of the road past the cul-de-sac.

Sept 10 -11, 2nd Sunday and Saturday before, 9:30 am, United Sacred Harp Musical Association, Antioch Baptist Church, CR 782, Ider AL. Dinner on the grounds at noon.

Sept 17, Saturday before 3rd Sunday, 10:00 am, Lee Rogers Memorial Singing at the home of John and Elsie Hollingsworth near Ila, GA.  Christian Harmony (2010 Edition). Books will be available for loan and for sale. John Hollingsworth, 706-789-3916, john -at- billnet -dot- org.

Sept 18, 3rd Sunday, 10:00 am, B.F. White Memorial, (J.L. White) Sacred Harp Singing at Hardeman Primitive Baptist Church, 3965 Glenwood Rd., Decatur, GA, just west of the intersection of Glenwood Rd and Columbia Drive in Decatur. Singing from the J.L. White 1911 edition of the Sacred Harp (loaner copies will be available). We will plan to sing in the lunchroom.  If you are not feeling well or think you may have been exposed to Covid, please stay home.

Sept 18, 3rd Sunday evening, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm, 3rd Sunday evening, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm, 3rd Sunday evening, 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm,  Haygood Memorial United Methodist Church, 1015 E Rock Springs Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30306.  Canceled for this month.

Sept 24,  Mountain Heritage Day, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC.  10:30 for Sacred Harp, 1:00 for Christian Harmony.  The tent is at the South corner of the old gym.  Parking for handicap is at the north corner of the building, near the car show.  Everyone else will be guided to general parking (traffic will be directed to the campus entrance just South of the Ramsey Center). In the past, they’ve provided box lunches for the singers, but that’s not confirmed at this point. Will aim to update if I hear later, but maybe plan to support one of the event's food vendors or bring a sack lunch.   https://www.wcu.edu/engage/mountain-heritage-day/schedule.aspx#shapenote

Looking ahead - the annual Georgia State Christian Harmony Convention is back on track!  Planned to be held the 2nd Sunday and Saturday before in December at Sweetwater Chapel in Lawrenceville, GA.

John