AtlantaPHP September 2021 online meeting

Chris Spruck

Sep 7, 2021, 2:03:05 PM9/7/21
to Atlanta PHP, Atlanta PHP Announcements

Announcing a new Meetup for the AtlantaPHP User Group!

When: Thursday, September 9th, 2021 — 7pm-8:30pm

NOTE: We are meeting remotely via Zoom. See the link below.

Please RSVP at: https://www.meetup.com/atlantaphp/events/280617766

PRESENTATION: "Get Lando and Get Stuff Done" by Cal Evans

How we develop software has come a long way since I started working with PHP 4.0. Today with tools like Docker, we can put each project in a container and isolate it from all other projects. The promise of Docker though has been difficult to deliver on. Crafting the proper config files and making sure all the pieces work together and talk together can be a daunting task, especially for a developer that just wants to get something done.

Enter Lando. Lando is an abstraction layer on top of Docker that makes bringing up complex applications easy.

In this talk, I'll demonstrate how easy it is to bring Lando up and start a project. Along the way, I'll share a few of the things that I've learned about Lando and how it can make the lives of PHP developers easier.

P.S. No Star Wars jokes, I promise. :)

About Cal: Many moons ago, at the tender age of 14, Cal touched his first computer. (We're using the term "computer" loosely here, it was a TRS-80 Model 1) Since then his life has never been the same. He graduated from TRS-80s to Commodores and eventually to IBM PCs.For the past 15 years Cal has worked with PHP and MySQL on Linux, OSX, and Windows. He has built a variety of projects ranging in size from simple web pages to multi-million dollar web applications.

When not banging his head on his monitor, attempting a blood sacrifice to get a particular piece of code working, he enjoys building and managing development teams using his widely imitated but never patented management style of "management by wandering around".

These days, when not working with PHP, Cal can be found working on a variety of projects like Day Camp 4 Developers. He gives motivational talks to developers around the world. If you happen to meet him at a conference, don't be afraid to buy him a shot of rum.

Cal is based in West Palm Beach, FL – US where he is happily married to wife 1.36, the lovely and talented Kathy. Together they have 2 wonderful kids who were both smart enough not to pursue a job in IT.

Register and join the Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/451710299

(Due to COIVD-19 limiting in-person meetings, we've joined forces with Boston PHP and Austin PHP to form MergePHP, your new PHP Mega Meetup Group! We'll be working together to provide high quality speakers in a multi-group session. Otherwise, it'll work like our previous online meetings but NOTE: we'll meet on the second Thursday of the month for now, instead of the first Thursday.)