My Angel

Philip

Oct 12, 2009, 3:37:03 PM10/12/09
to Philip Atkins
My Angel
October 12, 2009

"I love singing Hallelujah. It's such an awesome song. I just feel
humbled. " ~ Allison Crowe

"Bet you thought you heard all the versions you need to hear of this
song, right? Think again, because Allison Crowe has a voice to fall in
love with. She is from Vancouver Island in Canada, descended from
Irish and Manx stock. She's exactly the sort of artist who can make
serious headway on her own label and that's just what she's doing." ~
Record of the Day (UK - Allison's recording of "Hallelujah", has the
remarkable distinction of twice being selected "Record of the Day" by
this premiere UK music newsletter/tip sheet ~ in August 2004 and
November 2005.)

"Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah'... it's one of the most beautiful songs
ever written. I am happy to report that Allison Crowe does it justice
and then some. Her voice will give you chills. If it doesn't, check
your pulse, you may not be alive. It's incredibly moving." ~ Amy
Lotsberg, Collected Sounds (USA)

"a thunderously moving aural experience" ~ Teri McIntyre,
Empowerment4Women (USA)

"I have never been so moved by a woman's voice. Pure as ice, powerful
and even violent on the cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah." ~
SplinterMuse (France)

"HALLELUJAH is absolutely the best version I have ever heard of that
song...and there have been some almost perfect recordings of it. But
yours takes the cake. Powerful, yet vulnerable. Sexy and innocent.
Just amazing." ~ Steven Stewart, MusicFreedom (Finland)

"...a radiant, rousing, celebratory rendition of Leonard Cohen's
lovely 'Hallelujah' " ~ Shirley Goldberg, Mo Magazine (Canada)

In a (May 2007) roundup of "The Best Songs of All Time", alongside
recordings by Johnny Cash ("Hurt"), Bruce Springsteen ("Jungleland"),
and more, Semper Ubi Sub Ubi blog selected "Hallelujah" by Allison
Crowe on Tidings, with this explanation: "Quite possibly the single
greatest song ever recorded. Undeniably the best female vocal
performance ever recorded. This song is best listened to during the
winter, near a fireplace, while it's snowing outside. Any room will
do, though, so long as it is equipped with good speakers and a light
switch."

Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) - Allison Crowe live performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMOdVXAPJ0&feature=related

"In My Life, looking back at life... is perfect (for the season of joy
and peace)." ~ Allison Crowe

"You're about to hear from one of Canada's very best artists. I first
heard her live at the lift-off for our beloved colleague David
Grierson... I made her promise not to make us cry, but she sang this
Beatles tune." ~ Shelagh Rogers, CBC Radio Host & Public Broadcaster
(Canada)

"Songwriter and mistress of coversongs Allison Crowe beat out Johnny
Cash, Ben Lee, Chantal Kreviazuk and Shawn Colvin covers of In My Life
at the last minute. Buy or download all Crowe's albums via Rubenesque
- her own label - and you'll know why this Canadian youngster is one
to watch for the next half-century." ~ Cover Lay Down blog (USA)

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/music.html

###
end