Ode to The Artist

Philip

Oct 19, 2009, 8:11:28 PM10/19/09
to Philip Atkins
Ode of The Artist

Painting on location in the city has turned out to be easier than I
feared. An artist working on the sidewalk is so unusual most people
walk by as if I were invisible.

Due to the relative shortness of our time on earth many of us want to
savor what little beauty we find amongst the asphalt. This urge to
slow down and provide time for reflection is what drives artists and
photographers alike. I have often thought of my painting backpack full
of paints, paper and a lightweight easel as a 300 year old camera with
a 4 hour exposure time and a six year learning curve. When I am out
painting on location, hikers and tourists, often wearing cameras, will
occasionally stop and admire my work. They lament their inability to
draw. I never know what to say. Drawing can, and should, be taught
like reading and writing, but the ability to paint collectable art is
harder to explain...it may be a gift. Life is short, Art is long.

More...

http://www.websterart.com/html/statement.php

###
The End