Installing in Win7

Jim Aikin

Aug 19, 2011, 2:53:21 PM8/19/11
to athenacl
I'm curious to have a look at AthenaCL. I ran the installer
(athenaCL-2.0.0a15.exe), but I got three error boxes that referred to
problems connecting with Python -- a "could not create" message and
two "could not create key value" messages. I have Python 2.7 installed
and running, so that's not the problem.

The manual seems to contain no information about installation. It
starts by assuming the software has installed correctly. Can someone
help me troubleshoot this? Thanks!

--Jim Aikin

christopher ariza

Aug 19, 2011, 3:07:40 PM8/19/11
to athe...@googlegroups.com

hi jim. thanks for your message.

i hear (but have not tested myself) that this has something to do with 64-bit windows and python. you might be using 64 bit python instead of 32 bit python; using 32 bit python might work without the errors.

you might also check if, even with the error message, the install succeeded. try the following from the python shell (case matters):

>>> from athenaCL import athenacl

installation instructions are in the manual, in an appendix at the end. however, your problem is not yet addressed there.

http://www.flexatone.net/athenaDocs/www/ax01.htm

note also that you do not really need the .exe installer; you can just download the .tar.gz (source/linux) version and place the package in a directory that python knows about. (just double-clicking on the athenacl.py file might work too).

when you find a solution, please report back for the benefit of other windows users.

best regards,
chris.

Caecos

Aug 20, 2011, 10:32:22 AM8/20/11
to athenacl
In Windows 7 and Vista, you must installed the package with
administrator rights (right click on the installer). Also. you must
use a 32 bits version of Python and not a 64 bits. It works for me.

Marc