noise "resolution"

Jeff Trevino

Oct 24, 2011, 9:14:02 PM10/24/11
to athenacl
Hi there,

What exactly does the noise paramterObject's "resolution" argument do?
It says in the manual that it chooses "the number of generators." I
guess I don't know quite enough about the way the noise is being
generators to have an intuition about what this means - what is one
"generator" doing, and why is there an argument to specify lots of
them?

thanks for your attention,
Jeff

Jeffrey Trevino

Oct 24, 2011, 10:50:49 PM10/24/11
to athenacl
quite enough about the way the noise is being *generated,* I mean.
--
《〠》】〶【〖〠〗〶〛〷〚
Jeff Treviño

christopher ariza

Oct 25, 2011, 12:56:24 PM10/25/11
to athe...@googlegroups.com

good question!

the implementation of 1/f noise is based on simulation of dice, defined in libATH/dice.py. the resolution configures the number of dice used in the simulation, and in some ways results in a finer range of values. as all values are scaled within the unit interval, this increase in resolution may not be apparent in all applications. in general, the default setting is probably fine for most applications.

Jeffrey Trevino

Oct 25, 2011, 2:42:50 PM10/25/11
to athe...@googlegroups.com
Ah! - so it's all still a musikalisches Würfelspiel, isn't it? :)

Robert Falesch

Oct 25, 2011, 11:57:31 PM10/25/11
to athe...@googlegroups.com
Right, and after you master athenaCL, Das Glasperlenspiel will be all yours!