[ATHDrupal] whitehouse.gov moves to drupal

robin aka georgiawebgurl

Apr 26, 2010, 2:20:18 PM4/26/10
to athd...@googlegroups.com
I crossposted this @dweebs at uga, but I wanted to post it over here. Lots of info about what the whitehouse is doing. Also for those of you on twitter, you can follow Dries. @dries

--------------
Obama's campaign site was running Expression Engine... interesting to see this move to opensource.

----
Last week, WhiteHouse.gov announced its release of custom code developed during its first six months of Drupal implementation for WhiteHouse.gov. The news was also revealed during a speech at DrupalCon (video) in San Francisco on April 21.

The open source code, created by the president's web team, will allow developers to re-use what the White House has developed. There are four contributions from WhiteHouse.gov:

* A module called "Context HTTP Headers," which allows website builders to add new metadata to the content they serve. "We use this to tell our servers how to handle specific pages, such as 'cache this type of page for 15 minutes' or 'that type for 30,'" explained the Whitehouse.gov press release.
* A module called "Akamai," which allows WhiteHouse.gov to integrate with its content delivery network.
* A module called "GovDelivery," which allows emails to be customized to users' specifications.
* A module called "Node Embed," which makes sure all images on the site have the appropriate metadata to make them readable via screen-reading software.

Read more: http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/whitehouse-govs-contribution-drupal-win-win/2010-04-26

robin aka georgiawebgurl @ twitter & elsewhere
http://contentdivergent.blogspot.com