Script to enable multiple commands

turbo2ltr

Aug 26, 2010, 11:27:48 PM8/26/10
to ATC-SIM

I just updated the Highlight Planes/Strips Greasemonkey script (http://
www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_and_strips_in_atc_sim)
to be able to take certain multiple commands.

Valid command examples (beside the ones that are valid now):

In the air
UAL174 C 250 5 // clear 250 deg 5000ft
UAL174 C 5 250 // same as above, order of speed, altitude and
waypoint doesn't matter
UAL174 C 5 BOLES // clear to 5000ft via BOLES waypoint
UAL174 C 270 3 S 190 // clear 270 to 3000ft, change speed to 190
UAL174 C 270 3 S 190 X // same as above, but expedite all commands,
EX works as well

You can append X to any combo and it will expedite all commands.

On the ground
UAL174 C 9 BOLES T // departure clearance to 9000 ft via BOLES,
clear for takeoff
UAL174 C 4 BOLES H // departure clearance to 4000ft via BOLES,
position and hold

You can append T or H to any departure clearance.

All other commands stay the same and require the same format as
before. All commands, including all C commands work as before as
well. This script simply allows you to combine certain commands on the
same line. You cannot combine any other commands other than the one's
shown and all "combo" commands must start with C. (i.e. you cant say
UAL174 S 190 C 5, you must say UAL174 C 5 S 190)

I haven't tested this a whole lot so use at your own risk...i.e. don't
attempt a top score with it enabled until people test it out some.

Download script: http://www.mikemontalvo.com/code/atc-sim/atc_helper.user.js
(requires Greasemonkey extension to work)

Only tested in firefox. Feedback welcome and encouraged.

Jay, this is an awesome sim and I'm very addicted to it. I hope you
don't mind me doing this. Feel free to use any of the code if you want
to build it into the program in the next version, though I suspect
building it in would require completely different approach.

-Mike

Me

Aug 27, 2010, 12:09:43 AM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
Mike,

When I do this:
UAL174 C BOLES 3 S 190

The aircraft does descend to 3000 ft, slows down to 190, BUT it also
then heads to 190 instead of to BOLES.

Do you see the same thing there?

Also now the command read-back function on the browser bottom left
does not work anymore for any "clearance" command.

Thanks.

On Aug 26, 8:27 pm, turbo2ltr <turbo2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just updated the Highlight Planes/Strips Greasemonkey script (http://www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_and_stri...)

turbo2ltr

Aug 27, 2010, 12:37:23 AM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
Yes, you are right, I fixed the problem with the speed/heading
confusion. (updated script and reuploaded)

But as you pointed out the read-back function stopped working for ALL
clearances. I didn't see that before and I'm not sure thats something
I'd be able to fix. That's unfortunate as it's a rather large caveat..

I'll see what I can do. In the mean time, I uploaded another version
of the script that only has the highlighting.

http://www.mikemontalvo.com/code/atc-sim/atc_helper_highlight_only.user.js

Just be sure to disable/uninstall the other script in the greasemonkey
script management panel.

Thanks for the report.
-Mike

On Aug 26, 9:09 pm, Me <ghari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> When I do this:
> UAL174 C BOLES 3 S 190
>
> The aircraft does descend to 3000 ft, slows down to 190, BUT it also
> then heads to 190 instead of to BOLES.
>
> Do you see the same thing there?
>
> Also now the command read-back function on the browser bottom left
> does not work anymore for any "clearance" command.
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Aug 26, 8:27 pm, turbo2ltr <turbo2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just updated the Highlight Planes/Strips Greasemonkey script (http://www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_a......)

Me

Aug 27, 2010, 12:46:45 AM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
It's fixed!
This is great now I can type all 3 commands for initial arriving and
departing planes on one line!!!

Thanks.

On Aug 26, 9:37 pm, turbo2ltr <turbo2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, you are right, I fixed the problem with the speed/heading
> confusion. (updated script and reuploaded)
>
> But as you pointed out the read-back function stopped working for ALL
> clearances.  I didn't see that before and I'm not sure thats something
> I'd be able to fix. That's unfortunate as it's a rather large caveat..
>
> I'll see what I can do. In the mean time, I uploaded another version
> of the script that only has the highlighting.
>
> http://www.mikemontalvo.com/code/atc-sim/atc_helper_highlight_only.us...

Me

Aug 27, 2010, 12:48:49 AM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
Next task for you: make cascading command possible so we can route
planes along STAR routes automatically (eg. UAL174 C pointA pointB
pointC 4 S 200) and make the aircraft not just go to pointC but follow
all three paths one by one.

Just a thought......

turbo2ltr

Aug 27, 2010, 1:34:36 AM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
I just uploaded yet another version. (started numbering them in the
description, this is v1.2)

Keep in mind this whole thing is a hack to begin with so there are
certain limitations (some of which I'm already amazed I got around
heh), but I got the read-back working somewhat. It works for single
clearance commands (C 250, C 4) like it should and it works for combo
commands, but you will only see the readback for the last command.
So the downside is that if you typed:

UAL174 C BOLED 3 S 190

Instead of
UAL174 C BOLES 3 S 190

You would not see the error in the readback for the waypoint, you
would just see "reduce speed to 190".

I haven't given up on it yet though. I'm real close to a possible
fix.

As for STAR routes, that's something that will need to be done from
the "inside". Having to figure out if a plane reached a waypoint from
the outside (greasemonkey) would be very difficult. Not that that's
ever stopped me. heh.

-Mike

Yos233

Aug 27, 2010, 9:00:21 AM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
Take it from a deprting aircraft. They know when they get within a
mile, and then dissapear. Instead of disappearing they just continue
along to next fix.

Logan Bowling

Aug 27, 2010, 10:39:21 AM8/27/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Can you clear an aircraft to multiple waypoints at the same time?

turbo2ltr

Aug 27, 2010, 12:39:43 PM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
No. You can only give one command of each type per line.

Essentially all the script does is parse the line, splits it into
separate commands and submit them just like you typed the separate
commands in. Submitting multiple waypoints would just do the same
thing as if you typed in three different commands to waypoints. Only
the last one would be effective as the plane would change direction as
soon as each command is entered.

On Aug 27, 7:39 am, Logan Bowling <loganbowl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you clear an aircraft to multiple waypoints at the same time?
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:27 PM, turbo2ltr <turbo2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just updated the Highlight Planes/Strips Greasemonkey script (http://
>
> >www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_and_stri...
> > )
> > atc-sim+u...@googlegroups.com<atc-sim%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

robc856

Aug 27, 2010, 1:01:45 PM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
Is anyone having any issues using this with FF 3.6.8?

turbo2ltr

Aug 27, 2010, 1:24:47 PM8/27/10
to ATC-SIM
If anyone is getting a javascript popup when you enter a command,
please reinstall the script. I accidentally uploaded a version just
before I went to bed that still had an alert I used to debug in the
source...

turbo2ltr

Aug 29, 2010, 3:01:45 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM

If one were to make multiple waypoints possible, what would the
behavior be if you assigned a route, then later while they were flying
the route, you cleared them to another waypoint or vector?

Does the whole route get canceled automatically?
Do you have to specifically cancel the route clearance then give them
a new vector waypoint or route?
Or should the route remain active and allow the plane to "resume
route" at the controllers discretion?

Michael Woodburn

Aug 29, 2010, 3:37:35 PM8/29/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
The L and R commands do not work with your helper script. Not a big
deal, as I can work around it. But there are cases where I want the
plane to turn in the opposite direction.

Also, Re: Multiple way points, I think a new way point vector should
cancel the previous route.

JayLink1971

Aug 29, 2010, 3:41:28 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
> I hope you don't mind me doing this.

No problem at all.

> If one were to make multiple waypoints possible, what would the
> behavior be if you assigned a route, then later while they were flying
> the route, you cleared them to another waypoint or vector?
>
> Does the whole route get canceled automatically?

Exactly my question! Every time I think about coding this myself , I
wonder: Do the new commands get appended to, or replace the "queue"?

I'm inclinded to say replace, but let's say you simply wanted to
adjust the altitude and not the whole route?

Let me know what you come up with. :-)

- J

Logan Bowling

Aug 29, 2010, 5:14:13 PM8/29/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I think the whole route should be cancelled automatically...seems like the easiest to create.

turbo2ltr

Aug 29, 2010, 5:47:39 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
Version 1.3 released.

The biggest update to this is the ability to issue multiple waypoint
clearances to arriving and departing planes and they will fly to the
points in order. You do this with the V (via) command.

UAL1234 C 5 V CAGVA BOLES LUF // cleared to 5000ft, fly to CAGVA
then BOLES then LUF
UAL1234 C 5 t V CAGVA BOLES LUF // cleared to 5000ft,clear for
takeoff, fly to CAGVA then BOLES then LUF
UAL1234 C V CAGVA BOLES LUF // fly to CAGVA then BOLES then LUF

The one caveat is that the V command followed by the waypoints must be
the last thing in the line. You CAN combine other commands prior to
the V, but just make sure the V command is the last.

If you assign a waypoint or vector to a plane flying a route, the
route clearance will cancel.

Other fixes:
Corrected readback function for all commands. Now reads back results
of all commands in a combo command as well as the new V commands.
Added up arrow now repeats the previous command with the plane you
just clicked, but it does not submit in case you want to edit. Really
helps issue those long clearances to multiple aircraft.
L and R commands after a heading work now (broken in previous version)

http://www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_and_strips_in_atc_sim&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Let me know how it works.

On Aug 29, 2:14 pm, Logan Bowling <loganbowl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the whole route should be cancelled automatically...seems like the
> easiest to create.
>
> > <atc-sim%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<atc-sim%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Gene Harrison

Aug 29, 2010, 6:13:01 PM8/29/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
You cannot currently make multiple way point routs.

Gene Harrison
Cell (678) 717-8169
Office (770) 956-1955

Logan Bowling

Aug 29, 2010, 6:55:37 PM8/29/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
For some reason I can't get it to work. You say this is version 1.3, however when the script is downloaded from your website it says that it is version 1.2  ????  Or maybe i'm just doing it wrong, I don't know.

turbo2ltr

Aug 29, 2010, 7:10:35 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
Nope, I'm an idiot. Link fixed.

On Aug 29, 3:55 pm, Logan Bowling <loganbowl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason I can't get it to work. You say this is version 1.3, however
> when the script is downloaded from your website it says that it is version
> 1.2  ????  Or maybe i'm just doing it wrong, I don't know.
>
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM, turbo2ltr <turbo2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Version 1.3 released.
>
> > The biggest update to this is the ability to issue multiple waypoint
> > clearances to arriving and departing planes and they will fly to the
> > points in order. You do this with the V (via) command.
>
> > UAL1234 C 5 V CAGVA BOLES LUF    // cleared to 5000ft, fly to CAGVA
> > then BOLES then LUF
> > UAL1234 C 5 t V CAGVA BOLES LUF  // cleared to 5000ft,clear for
> > takeoff, fly to CAGVA then BOLES then LUF
> > UAL1234 C V CAGVA BOLES LUF  //  fly to CAGVA then BOLES then LUF
>
> > The one caveat is that the V command followed by the waypoints must be
> > the last thing in the line.  You CAN combine other commands prior to
> > the V, but just make sure the V command is the last.
>
> > If you assign a waypoint or vector to a plane flying a route, the
> > route clearance will cancel.
>
> > Other fixes:
> > Corrected readback function for all commands.  Now reads back results
> > of all commands in a combo command as well as the new V commands.
> > Added up arrow now repeats the previous command with the plane you
> > just clicked, but it does not submit in case you want to edit. Really
> > helps issue those long clearances to multiple aircraft.
> > L and R commands after a heading work now (broken in previous version)
>
> >http://www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_a...
> > <atc-sim%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<atc-sim%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

Logan Bowling

Aug 29, 2010, 8:25:46 PM8/29/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
LOL...much better now. Works great, thanks very much for that!

Me

Aug 29, 2010, 8:48:06 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
Wow Mike,

I thought when I suggested the idea at the beginning of this
discussion that it would be just a dream to get such a function.
But as you said, nothing can stop you from trying.

Thanks!

On Aug 29, 5:25 pm, Logan Bowling <loganbowl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL...much better now. Works great, thanks very much for that!

> > <atc-sim%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<atc-sim%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

> > <atc-sim%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com<atc-sim%2525252Bu...@googlegroups.com>

Me

Aug 29, 2010, 9:15:45 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
Next thing to do is: write up some STAR routes for each airport,
and then write some code so that we can tell aircraft:

UAL174 fly San Francisco Quiet Bridge Visual land runway 28R.......

just kidding......

> read more »

Yos233

Aug 29, 2010, 10:11:51 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
Last time you were just kidding, he showed you up and acomplished the
"impossible." I dont know what greasemonkey can do but you might as
well try ;)

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

turbo2ltr

Aug 29, 2010, 10:41:28 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
lol, I think I'm done for a little while.. heh.

besides, "fly San Francisco Quiet Bridge Visual land runway 28R" thats
a lot to type. Its hard enough to type in three waypoints.. I type
slow. heh.

> read more »

Me

Aug 29, 2010, 11:07:02 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
Hey Mike,

I (finally) just downloaded the script but I can't seem to use the new
"V" command at all.
Am I missing something?

> read more »

Me

Aug 29, 2010, 11:10:39 PM8/29/10
to ATC-SIM
Nevermind.......had to re-start FF first for script to take into
affect!
Thanks.

> read more »

robc856

Aug 30, 2010, 1:18:05 PM8/30/10
to ATC-SIM
is anyone having this problem?

I installed firefox, installed greasemonkey, restarted firefox, got
the script from Mike and ran atc-sim.com and it worked. I end the
program and when I go back to use it again the script is no longer
running and I can't use it. Greasemonkey says it's enabled. I
uninstalled firefox and reinstalled it and again the script works but
the won't work on the second try again.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,
Rob

> read more »

Me

Aug 30, 2010, 1:36:41 PM8/30/10
to ATC-SIM
Yeah I saw that too. That's why I posted my question before.
It seems that I had to try over and over re-starting FF and atc-sim
and at some point I got it to work.
Once it works then it will always work, until the next time you re-
start FF.

Let's hope Mike can find why it may be doing that.

turbo2ltr

Aug 30, 2010, 1:48:26 PM8/30/10
to ATC-SIM
Can you guys run FF, hit cntrl-shift-J which opens the error console.
Click the "errors" button at the top of the window (hit clear if the
window is not empty), then load atc-sim and see if you get any errors.

robc856

Aug 30, 2010, 2:10:59 PM8/30/10
to ATC-SIM
I just reinstalled FF a third time and cleared the errors. That seems
to have done it. It works fine now.

Thanks again Mike.

Rob

robc856

Aug 30, 2010, 2:27:13 PM8/30/10
to ATC-SIM
awesome, it totally changes how I input commands, gone are the days
where I was typing like a mad man and people where wondering what I'm
doing. I'm not going to get any work done, lol

Evan Beaton

Aug 30, 2010, 4:23:47 PM8/30/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
WOW! Incredible script... I'm so far only using it for multiple waypoints and wow, it's incredible how much more realistic this is. Easier, but I don't feel it's cheating or anything, just a lot more like the real thing. Finally we can essentially recreate SIDs and STARs! Thanks a bunch turbo for helping to make an amazing thing even better!

turbo2ltr

Aug 30, 2010, 7:05:19 PM8/30/10
to ATC-SIM
Glad you like it. Jay has built a very good and reliable platform
here, very clean code and I'm amazed it's all javascript. What I did
is merely a hack...an ugly one at that. heh.

Sooo... how *do* you guys use this? lol. Just because I wrote the
script doesn't mean I know what to do with it. :)

I'm a non-current private pilot (VFR) and the biggest airport I flew
into is probably MacArthur class Charley on long island. FRG could
get pretty hairy at times, (N255Y, you're # 10 following cherokee in
extended downwind) but no STARS or SID...

I actually had some time to play (instead of test) last night..I was
working PHX and I was simply giving incoming planes in the north
routes like VADRR BOLES FINUX and then vectored them to land on 7/8

And what usually happens is I forget about one of them and they start
circling FINUX and screws everything up because they are now flying
into traffic.. lol.

rob.c...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2010, 7:31:30 PM8/30/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I find that having a plan for them ahead of time is nice but you have to give an order to them. Know which is going to land first.

Some aircraft I speed up to bring them in faster. You can also assign an aircraft an approach speed after they're on the localizer. Just don't go too high or they'll overshoot.

Usually try to have a runway for departures and another for landing. If you have only one runway, as soon as the landing aircraft is over the threashold and down, send a departing aircraft to position till the runway is clear and depart him.

You really have to tryout different setups and different conditions. Setting the wind changes to often can make it interesting. Lol

Cheers,

Rob

Me

Aug 30, 2010, 8:20:37 PM8/30/10
to ATC-SIM
I made some vectoring diagrams for KSFO and KLAX a while back (only
normal ops). I used some ZOA and ZLA ARTCC (VATSIM) vectoring diagram
to help me out.

KLAX:
http://atc-sim.googlegroups.com/web/KLAX_APP_VECTORS_NORMOPS.JPG?gda=f35hT04AAABH78VCmv4na91CnJnayYmn2GWYa5SzzjhPRqw4EIvLKnkUP3sHxs_-hphAa-TFl-gFjZyXv0bUA9VvwoA1YYgK47Cl1bPl-23V2XOW7kn5sQ

KSFO:
http://atc-sim.googlegroups.com/web/KSFO_APP_VECTORS_NORMOPS.JPG?gda=KPhL7k4AAABH78VCmv4na91CnJnayYmn5JFUt2CjnyD4vPdVw1JtrTMIN4yrWQTZST0LIMy5Lo8FjZyXv0bUA9VvwoA1YYgK47Cl1bPl-23V2XOW7kn5sQ

ZOA ARTCC website link to SFO and SJC vectoring diagram:
http://www.oakartcc.com/downloads/vectordiag.zip

ZLA ARTCC website link to vectoring diagram for LAX, SNA, LAS, ONT,
SAN, SBA, LGB:
http://www.laartcc.org/vectoring.php

So your new script really helps with following these vectoring
diagrams both for arrivals and departures according to wind direction.

It's really fun.
> > helping to make an amazing thing even better!- Hide quoted text -

pandahead

Aug 31, 2010, 2:08:54 PM8/31/10
to ATC-SIM
Great work, thank you!

Wes

Sep 5, 2010, 10:22:45 AM9/5/10
to ATC-SIM
I had trouble getting the script to work at first, then I realized
what I was doing wrong. To play the game, I was typing "atc-sim.com"
into my address bar, but the script is written to work only with
"WWW.atc-sim.com". The script is working beautifully now that I have
the correct URL. I'm using Firefox 3.6.8. Hope this helps someone.

Wes

Paul Dalton

Sep 6, 2010, 3:22:03 PM9/6/10
to ATC-SIM
Has anyone tested this on Google Chrome ?

turbo2ltr

Sep 6, 2010, 4:04:00 PM9/6/10
to ATC-SIM
The way the script is written, it will not work in Chrome.

Evan Beaton

Sep 12, 2010, 2:17:03 AM9/12/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Did I do something wrong? I went to go test out the updated SFO, and noticed the script isn't working at all for me now... the highlighting or the multiple commands... Greasemonkey is enabled with ATC-SIM Helper v1.3 enabled as well... this was working for me last week no problem but haven't gotten to play since. Anyone else having trouble? :S

turbo2ltr

Sep 12, 2010, 2:25:00 AM9/12/10
to ATC-SIM
Still working for me.

Are you at www.atc-sim.com? (make sure you have the www.)
Is greasemonkey enabled? (Monkey face in color)

Evan Beaton

Sep 12, 2010, 2:27:06 AM9/12/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Dope, that was it. I didn't have the "www." My bad! Carry on. :)

turbo2ltr

Sep 12, 2010, 2:28:52 AM9/12/10
to ATC-SIM
I will fix this in the next release. Alternatively, just go to
"manage user scripts", click the script and add the 'non www" version
of the URL to the "included pages" box.

Evan Beaton

Sep 12, 2010, 2:30:20 AM9/12/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip!

divot

Sep 16, 2010, 5:57:26 AM9/16/10
to ATC-SIM
this is a great script, thanks turbo2ltr :)

one way it could be improved even more (probably require an inside job
too) would be if you could enter beacons by clicking on them, rather
than typing every one in... would make it easier to be really fast and
consistent at putting arrivals in the pattern at high-traffic
airports...

another improvement that I would love, would be to able to add a
heading on the end of a 'via' routing string - so for instance at JFK,
arrivals from the East v swine teb 130. Even better would be a way to
tag a landing command on the end of that to attempt to acquire the
runway without an extra command - e.g. @JFK: c 4 v swine teb 130 l 13l
- and you could then issue relevant altitude commands to planes
throughout the pattern as required... I know, probably reasons why
that won't work :) It would be a great way to dodge that problem of
an arrival constantly circling the last beacon with more arrival
traffic coming up behind it! The only antidote to that I've found is
giving a last beacon on the far side of the airfield, which if you
forget or don't have time to issue the landing command, can leave you
with an arrival overflying the airfield at 2 or 3 thousand feet, and
tearing into the departure routes on the other side. Which while not
technically a missed approach, is neither pretty nor safe :)

great script though, and awesome sim - great work Jay, and turbo...

stedenko

Sep 16, 2010, 10:24:14 AM9/16/10
to ATC-SIM
Great post divot -

Making waypoints clickable is a great idea, since we can click on
aircraft and they show up the the command textbox, maybe the same
principles can apply to waypoints?

Aloso, for JayLink, you had indicated in a previous post that you
would be interested in making the pilot readback text that appears in
the status bar as selectable text somewhere on the webpage. If this
could be done, it can open the door to further experimentation with
actual voice readbacks using text to speech. Just wondering if this
is on the docket for you somewhere, it would be nice to break the
silence in the skies :)

Great sim, and this is really becoming a great community to be a part
of!

Stedenko
.
> > > Dope, that was it. I didn't have the "www." My bad! Carry on. :)- Hide quoted text -

turbo2ltr

Sep 16, 2010, 12:07:59 PM9/16/10
to ATC-SIM
Well there's a delicate balance of what will bring the sim even close
to reality and what is "cheating". In real life, you'll never get a
landing clearance 30 miles out in downwind (at least not that I'm
aware).

But I know what you mean as I usually give an ending waypoint that
puts them in the direction of the runways, even if the waypoint is
past the runway, just so they don't start circling on final. Of
course if you forget to give a landing clearance they will overfly the
airport (been there done that)...but that's the whole idea...you
aren't supposed to forget! :)

Maybe others can chime in here to get their opinion. How does it work
in real life? I'm guessing pilots either get a visual approach at
which point they don't need to be vectored right to the runway or they
just need vectors to intercept the ILS and again, they dont need
vectors to the threshold, but in either case, they still need a
landing clearance before wheels down which is not issues until final.
So to add a landing clearance at the end of a route would be
unrealistic.

I'm thinking the most realistic scenario would be to split the landing
clearance and intercepting the glideslope into two commands. In other
words, a plane could be told to "follow the visual approach" at which
the pilot will do everything a landing clearance will do as far as
lining up with the runway and glideslope but they will not land until
they get a clearance. If you fail to give a clearance, they will go
missed. Of course this would require a big change on Jay's side....or
I might be completely wrong on how clearances work in real life.. I'm
sure people more knowledgeable will chime in.

In any case, handling vectors as well as waypoints could be added to
the script without too much trouble. I've been thinking about the
clickable waypoints as it really sucks typing them in. Maybe I'll look
into it.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Mike

JayLink1971

Sep 16, 2010, 2:36:46 PM9/16/10
to ATC-SIM
> I've been thinking about the clickable waypoints as it really sucks typing them in.
> Maybe I'll look into it.

@Mike If there's demand for that one, I'll go ahead and do it. You
don't have to. My fear in the past is that it may be confusing when
things get crowded. Maybe it can be a turn on / turn off option.

Meanwhile, spent last night debugging the Facebook XFBML fb:comments
box. Those guys seem to have a habit of pushing untested, alpha code
into production. For those of you that enjoy JS programming, here is
the "onclick" code for their textarea:

if(!this._has_control){new
TextAreaControl(this).setMaxLength(1000).setAutogrow(true).setPlaceholderText("Add
a comment...");this._has_control=true;}

BUT ... the problem may be that setMaxLength() is not part of the
TextAreaControl prototype, but instead part of TextInputControl.

How I love debugging other people's code for free on my time. Yet,
it's clear they had no intention of fixing it in a timely manner,
despite their forums filled with complaints, so maybe that will nudge
them along. Just like Mike nudges me! :-)

And what ever happened to Martin Aarhof, or whatever his name was? He
had some coding skill, too.

av8nut

Sep 16, 2010, 4:18:10 PM9/16/10
to ATC-SIM
Clickable waypoints/VORs would be great!!! Yes, definite demand Jay.

Wow, that would save so much typing!!!

Evan Beaton

Sep 16, 2010, 9:59:08 PM9/16/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I as well would love clickable way points... as someone mentioned earlier it would make vectoring arrivals through STARs so much easier and faster while not sacrificing realism. I agree that you shouldn't be able to clear a landing 30 miles out or so, but maybe there can be a new command "approach"? As in AAL123 C V XXX XXX XXX A36R. The "A" standing for "clear for approach runway 36R" or something. It might conflict slightly with the abort command so it wouldn't have to be "A" but I think it could work. And the planes would follow the ILS in and you'd have to clear them to land though or they'd go around. I love how much progress this is going through, it's like a completely different game now and keeps getting better. Thanks to everyone who's recommending awesome ideas and for the people making them possible! aka Jay and turbo to say a few! :P

turbo2ltr

Sep 17, 2010, 12:18:55 AM9/17/10
to ATC-SIM
I don't know why I didn't allow for this in the first place. It was a
no brainer.

Version 1.4:
Added ability to specify a vector as the last waypoint in a route.
This allows you to keep the plane from circling the last waypoint.
Keep in mind the vector must be the last entry in the route. An error
will be thrown if it's not.

Example:
UAL1234 C V CAGVA BOLES LUF 130 // fly to CAGVA then BOLES then LUF,
then fly vector 130
UAL1234 C V CAGVA BOLES 130 LUF // error

Bugfix:
Fixed bug that kept script from working when using the non www URL

Download..
http://www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_and_strips_in_atc_sim

Evan Beaton

Sep 17, 2010, 12:24:40 AM9/17/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks a bunch turbo for just keeping the awesomeness up :O

divot

Sep 17, 2010, 6:50:21 AM9/17/10
to ATC-SIM
turbo2ltr - great work on the new code, brilliant!

I've no interest in making it unrealistic in any way, i agree... the
final heading command may help a great deal - thanks! having a
command to intercept a g/s would be a great realistic (I think) way to
keep things under control for arrivals - that combined with clickable
waypoints would really be the icing on the cake...

Nobody I talk to can understand why such a graphically simple, quiet
game could be so interesting. They're all freaks :) - no better way
to destress and practise my multitasking on a break at work than DFW!

smith, dartanya D AC2 NAS Oceana , Air Detachment Norfolk

Sep 17, 2010, 9:21:34 AM9/17/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com

I ALSO THINK THERE SHOULD BE AN EXTENDED CENTERLINE TO BETTER DOGLEG YOUR AIRCRAFT

Sep 17, 2010, 11:09:23 AM9/17/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Does this Greasemonkey program NOT work with Internet Explorer 8??? I hesitate to download it if it doesn't.  I have tried Firefox and it is NOT to my liking, nor is Google Chrome..

RRR

Sep 17, 2010, 11:21:43 AM9/17/10
to ATC-SIM

There is a GM extension for IE but it has not been tested and I'm
pretty sure it won't work since IE likes to do things it's own way.
I have no plans to update the script to work in IE.

On a personal note, get used to FF or Chrome. They are both superior
and safer browsers than IE. Sure it might take some "getting used to"
but you'll be glad you did. I don't use IE, I never will, and if I
catch anyone using IE on any of my machines here at work, they will be
cleaning the bathroom for the rest of the year.

On Sep 17, 8:09 am, "Roy Ryland" <kickerpic...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Does this Greasemonkey program NOT work with Internet Explorer 8??? I
> hesitate to download it if it doesn't.  I have tried Firefox and it is NOT
> to my liking, nor is Google Chrome..
>
> RRR

Evan Beaton

Sep 17, 2010, 12:58:21 PM9/17/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
HAHA well said about IE! Once you go Firefox you can't go back. I sometimes see people using IE now and I'm just like HOW? WHY??? What do you not like about FF Roy? It's so full of ways to change it you can probably get it to look like IE, though I just don't understand how it's bad?

pandahead

Sep 17, 2010, 1:03:51 PM9/17/10
to ATC-SIM
Departing a fix using a vector is certainly realistic - "Depart CAMRN
heading 040" is used frequently by NY Approach into JFK.

I agree completely with turbo2ltr that giving landing clearance at the
end of a string of commands is not realistic, though, as that's done
by the Tower, and not by TRACON. Splitting it into two commands
('intercept the localizer'/'fly-the-visual' and 'clear to land') is
more realistic, but probably redundant for this sim, unless Jay starts
throwing rabbits onto the runways ;)

I think turbo2ltr's addition is great, although I still enjoy the
challenge of playing without it! (And I don't mind typing in
waypoints furiously - clicking on them makes it too much like a video
game, but that's just my opinion).

Jay Link

Sep 17, 2010, 2:48:39 PM9/17/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
> I sometimes see people using IE now and I'm just like HOW? WHY???

I'm no MS apologist by any means, but I'd say that starting with
version 5.5, IE became viable. There are often times when the W3C
standards are vague, and frankly sometimes IE gets it right (IMO).

Sure, lack of min-width and CANVAS makes me want to visit Redmond and
punch some people out. IE5 on the Mac was hell on earth. But, for the
most part, it's now possible to make an app or site cross-browser
consistent.

And, speaking as a developer, even if you don't use M$, your customers
do, so you still have to deal with them. I was at a shop once that
didn't use MS Office for several years, but customers always mailed in
Word docs, so it was a big pain in th a**.

As a related example, I detest Drupal, and moderately dislike
WordPress, but I still have to use them.

The bottom line is, IE is built-in, and your customers use it, and so
you do, too.

What if I said, "ATC-SIM requires canvas, and so IE users can't play."
How well would that go over?

Originally, ATC-SIM was going to run on Linux using SVGAlib. Then I
realized that there were probably only 10 people in the world that
were interested in Linux, console graphics, and aviation.

Again, I am no "friend of Bill", I am glad we have FF and Chrome, but
that's just how it is. So long as MS owns the desktop, IE will be a
market leader.

Emjay

Sep 17, 2010, 5:06:32 PM9/17/10
to ATC-SIM
Thanks for the update turbo! Nice one!

Roy Ryland

Sep 17, 2010, 6:04:01 PM9/17/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I have tried both FF and Chrome.  I do a program called SingSnap on my Internet that neither of these programs work well for me, nor as fast.   While I had tried these two systems (not at the same time) I could not get IE off my computer.  It came with the computer along with Vista, so while I was using FF or Chrome, IE was still taking up room on my computer and somehow I was always running into a problem on FF or Chrome that I just didn't have on IE and that's why I went back to IE..

I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to computers.  I'm 72 years old and computers were a Johnny Come Lately thing for me, so there are a lot of things that I don't know about how things are supposed to work.  I just know that SingSnap does not do well with either of the other two.  At least, on my computer it doesn't!!  I have the Dell Studio computer and I had them design it for gaming.  I also do flight sims, both FS9 and FSX, I also do ATCSimulator from Aerostudios which is really life like.  I am a retired air traffic controller so I know when the simulation approaches reality!  I also do an enroute ARTCC program and all these programs run well on my computer, but unlike this sim, these are sims that are downloaded onto my hardrive.

So THAT's why I have IE and before I'd clean toilets for the other gentleman I'd find myself another job if he's that demanding!!
Roy

HAHA well said about IE! Once you go Firefox you can't go back. I sometimes see people using IE now and I'm just like HOW? WHY??? What do you not like about FF Roy? It's so full of ways to change it you can probably get it to look like IE, though I just don't understand how it's bad?

faint_grain.jpg

Gene Harrison

Sep 17, 2010, 6:10:03 PM9/17/10
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I have seen all this about multiple way points and don't understand.  Can I get clarity?

Gene Harrison
Cell (678) 717-8169
Office (770) 956-1955

turbo2ltr

Sep 17, 2010, 6:19:12 PM9/17/10
to ATC-SIM
Anything specifically you need clarity on?

This is the page that has all the information on it.

http://www.mikemontalvo.com/index.php?blog=6&title=highlight_planes_and_strips_in_atc_sim

-Mike
--------------
My views, opinions, and code do not necessarily reflect the views and
opinions of atc-sim or it's author. :)
> > atc-sim+u...@googlegroups.com<atc-sim%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

FutureATC

Jul 29, 2012, 3:10:10 AM7/29/12
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if you even still work on this code or not, but what about the possibility of highlighting the "programmed" routing when we hover over the blip and/or the strip?

toni

Jul 29, 2012, 6:45:42 AM7/29/12
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike

I really like the idea of multiple commands but so far I've been running ATC-SIM on I.E. .....

I've dowloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox and have added Greasmonkey to it.

Having done that, how can I get your code to download and install/work within Firefox?

The 'link' below describes the commands etc, but gives no clues (that I can find) on how to get the script to run....

Thanks for any help.

Toni.

On Friday, 27 August 2010 04:27:48 UTC+1, turbo2ltr wrote:

[...]

toni

Jul 29, 2012, 12:01:02 PM7/29/12
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Please ignore my last post - I did manage to download the script (V 1.4) and add it to an up-to-date Firefox.

So, Greasemonkey and the 'help' script are both enabled.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work.....

Toni

turbo2ltr

Jul 30, 2012, 10:51:08 AM7/30/12
to atc...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, the script stopped working from FF 4 and above due to them closing a loophole I was exploiting.

toni

Jul 30, 2012, 11:21:20 AM7/30/12
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Damn shame!!!

Joseph Hoffmeister

Jul 30, 2012, 2:15:36 PM7/30/12
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Just download FF3.6! That's what I did.

Damn shame!!!

jonoskog

Sep 18, 2012, 12:58:53 AM9/18/12
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I do some commercial flying in Australia, the procedures probably differ a little from other parts of the world, but the concept would be the same. You won't get a landing clearance until you are on short finals (just a couple of miles out), but you may get a clearance to intercept the localiser.

Basically the arriving aircraft will get given the STAR at around 150 nm out. The STAR will include tracking details and height restrictions (e.g., at or below 9000 by TAMMI, not below 6000 by BOOGI). Once the aircraft has the STAR and an initial descent clearance they'll be handed over to the approach controller. The approach controller will give progressive descent clearances that provide separation from other aircraft, the ground and also keep you in controlled airspace. Note that even though the STAR includes height restrictions, none of these constitutes a clearance and the approach controller still has to give you descent clearance.

Some STARs that terminate nicely at the beginning of an approach may include clearance to intercept the final approach course. For example the Gold Coast 2 Alpha arrival into Brisbane includes the instruction to intercept the localiser at the end of the STAR. This is NOT an approach clearance though, it is only clearance to track inbound on the localiser and does not give you clearance to descend on the glideslope. To be able to descend on the final approach you need an approach clearance. The approach clearance will be the last thing the approach controller gives you, normally in the same transmission as clearing you to the initial altitude for the approach and giving frequency change instructions for the tower. e.g., "ABC descend to 3000, cleared ILS approach, contact tower 120.5 at the outer marker."

Other STARS terminate with radar vectors and the controller has to give you a vector to intercept the final. The Rivet 9 arrival into Sydney is an example of this. The tracking is RIVET, TAMMI, BOOGI, DUDOK, NASHO then radar vectors, the initial vector from NASHO is just what ever heading you had on reaching NASHO.

Although it is the centre controller rather than the approach controller that actually gives the STAR, it is coordinated with the approach controller.

I think the most realistic way to handle the sim would be to have arrivals appear on the strip some time before appearing on screen. You would have to give the STAR in the form of lateral tracking instructions and an initial descent altitude. This would actually be standing in for you coordinating the STAR with the centre controller. Once the aircraft has a STAR it can appear on the screen and you can give it progressive descent and speed control if necessary. Once you have it on an intercept course and either AT an appropriate altitude or CLEARED to an appropriate altitude then you should clear it for the approach which is a clearance for the aircraft to descend for landing. The aircraft should then be assumed to have transferred to tower and no further instructions should be necessary unless it does a missed approach for some reason. The landing clearance should be a tower function.

For departures the initial clearance is actually given by the clearance delivery frequency but presumably it is coordinated with approach/departures so it's not too unrealistic for you as the approach/departure controller to be involved in that. Once the aircraft has departed the departure controller normally only has to give progressive climb instructions and maybe vectors depending  on the traffic situation.

A request for turbo would be for us to be able to design our own STARs and SIDs that we could give a short name to. Basically a custom macro. So if I want to clear an inbound to Sydney via RIVET, TAMMI, BOOGI, DUDOK, NASHO, vector 160 (in real life this is the RIVET 9 arrival), I could set that as a custom STAR with R9, or whatever made sense to me, as the short cut. Then when I got an appropriate arrival I could type in QF402 c 6 v R9. This would clear QF402 for the STAR with an initial descent to 6000 feet.

I personally don't have any desire for clickable waypoints, so if that was added I would prefer for it to be an option that could be turned off.

Cheers

JS

turbo2ltr

May 25, 2013, 12:05:18 PM5/25/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I did some poking around, and found a way to use my script in Chrome.  You can't use the built in script support, but you can use an extension called Tampermonkey.  Note there is a new bug in tampermonkey that was just fixed, so at the time of this post, it requires you to install the beta version.  In a few days, the stable version will work when they migrate the beta over.

Beta: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey-beta/gcalenpjmijncebpfijmoaglllgpjagf
Stable: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo

There is a beta version of the ATC-SIM Helper script at www.digitaltuning.com/xd9/atc-sim_helper_chrome.user.js
This is a chrome specific version.

You must install tampermonkey first, and then when you go to the script, you click ok to install it using tampermonkey (clicking cancel installs it using the standard chrome userscript support).

The only improvement I made was generating my own status bar since chrome does not support window.status. There is a possibility that this will cover a waypoint, but let me know if it's a problem.

As usual, I'm lazy and I didn't test very much, but it seems to work.. I tested it using the latest chrome (27)

Feedback welcome.

turbo2ltr

May 25, 2013, 1:25:50 PM5/25/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Just updated the script. Latest is 1.6a.  Status bar was not updating with "simple" commands that did not start with C.

Evan B

May 25, 2013, 1:58:34 PM5/25/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome! Missed this so much... thanks turbo!

Gene Harrison

May 27, 2013, 7:47:57 PM5/27/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
who uses chrome?  not very many people i would bet

turbo2ltr

May 28, 2013, 11:18:46 AM5/28/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, not too many.  Only 52% of internet users....lol

Richard

May 29, 2013, 4:08:50 PM5/29/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com

Statistics Can Be Misleading

You cannot - as a web developer - rely ONLY on statistics. Statistics can be misleading.

Note: W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use the browser that comes preinstalled with their computer, and do not seek out other browser alternatives.

Yos233

May 29, 2013, 5:24:58 PM5/29/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Even so, the following websites all list Chrome as the most used browser worldwide.

But regardless of which browser has the most market share, claiming that not very many people use Chrome is outright wrong.

Richard

May 30, 2013, 3:30:21 PM5/30/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I don't disagree (and I use Chrome myself) but I am surprised that IE isn't the most used, considering it tends to be the default (mind you, it is rubbish...).

Still, the more browsers the script works with, the better!

ioh969

Jun 1, 2013, 7:57:07 PM6/1/13
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Chrome overtook IE as the most used web browser in august last year, a hell of a lot of people use chrome including me. In school the default browser is IE but the majority use chrome instead, the stats don't lie.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

turbo2ltr

Apr 19, 2015, 10:17:14 AM4/19/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I have updated the original script to work. No need to fork it.

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 7:13:58 AM UTC-7, SirOssis wrote:
ATC-SIM's website change the URL to the simulator.

I've added the new URL to the script.

SirOssis

Apr 19, 2015, 10:21:35 AM4/19/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
My post has been deleted.... Didn't know you were still working on this.... THANKS!!!!!!
Can you put up another post with the URL so it's easier to find in the forum.....I always have to search through the posts to find the link.....

ninerRight

Apr 23, 2015, 1:36:04 PM4/23/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
New guy here.... are there any plans to incorporate this into the live web version without having to install the userscript? I've tried the Chrome version with Tampermonkey and game play is not affected. Maybe I'm missing something on how to enable the script and get it working? Can someone advise?

Thanks!

Jay Link

Apr 23, 2015, 1:37:06 PM4/23/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there are plans, but I can't promise any schedule. Probably by June, since it's the #1 request.