Cannot land at MCO

Paul Thompson

Jun 10, 2015, 3:37:01 PM6/10/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I've been using the sim for years - love it.

As a British expat and pilot, I have always used the EGLL Heathrow layout but decided to have a change and play with KMCO Orlando.

Are there new commands that I need? I'm using the same 2,000 ft, within 40 degree intercept (I know I can do 60) but all of my approaches end up in a go-around.

Do I have to type the commands faster - to simulate an American accent? (jk)

=^..^=

jaymontel

Jun 10, 2015, 7:23:58 PM6/10/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I've been having the same issue at DFW. Good luck getting a satisfactory answer.

Gene Harrison

Jun 10, 2015, 9:52:31 PM6/10/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I just tried it.  Works okay   Use the command TRS 567 L18R

Gene Harrison
Cell (678) 717-8169
Office (770) 956-1955

Paul Thompson

Jun 11, 2015, 10:21:57 PM6/11/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I'm doing exactly the same as LHR - I click the progress strip (to automate the callsign entry) and then type the command.

No landings.

Jay Link

Jun 11, 2015, 10:31:58 PM6/11/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Must mean you're not lined up as well as you think, or not within the "cone" area at the end of the runway.

I typically advise people to begin their approaches from farther out when this happens, and then start bringing it in closer once it starts working.

And you're definitely at 1,000 feet? What does the confirmation box in the upper right say after you issue the command?

Maybe approach the runway more diagonally and go for a localizer "intercept".

Paul Thompson

Jun 11, 2015, 10:37:00 PM6/11/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
1,000 ft? No, I'm commanding (as I do at LHR) descend to altitude 2,000 ft. Once the aircraft gets there, and is on a good intercept heading (I use plus/minus 40 degrees) then I issue a landing clearance.

Sometimes the MCO aircraft accept the clearance, sometimes they don't - but all times.....they go around. Should I be using 1,000 ft for the approach altitude at MCO?

My fuel bill is crazy. :(

=^..^=

Alex Thomas

Jun 12, 2015, 9:35:17 AM6/12/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I would just approach on a longer final. If you look at the actual traffic pattern for most airports, planes will stay parallel and in line with their landing runway on approach. Also I would suggest clearing all incoming aircraft to 1,000 ft (unless that will cause violation problems). Another tip: at MCO, planes take off on the inner runways. That leaves the outer runways for arrivals. Hope this helps.

Jay Link

Jun 12, 2015, 10:41:17 AM6/12/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
It does sound like Paul is beginning his approaches too close to the runway, although if 2,000 works for him at LHR then it should work at MCO.

The test is to see how high the planes are as they approach the threshold. If higher than, say, 200 feet, then it means the approach needs to be started from farther out.

av8nut

Jun 12, 2015, 11:41:01 AM6/12/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
If you want to clear from 2,000 feet AGL, then I would clear for landing at least 8-10 miles out. Another consideration is your current speed upon clearance. If your speed is still at 240 from arrival entry, you need to allow a little more on your final than if you've reduced to say 180-200.

Av8nut

Roy Ryland

Jun 12, 2015, 12:08:43 PM6/12/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
At MCO the southbound flow is tight and some of the in bounds coming out of the north are high and require a heading change in order to drop them down to approach altitudes.  I use 1000 feet as my approach altitude at MCO.  If you intercept final at 2000 feet, you better be much further out on final, or you'll go around!  I reduce southbound traffic speed too, in order to give the plane enough time to reach approach altitude before over running the approach envelope.  I agree with Alex that 1000 feet is a better approach altitude to alleviate the go around problem.

Jun 14, 2015, 2:49:44 PM6/14/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you folks.

I've NEARLY got it now. Speed and altitude clues certainly helped most of the inbounds.

Apologies to the JetBlue that just had to go around as I cleared him to land, at 240 knots, about 1 mile from the threshold.

I'm glad my telephone number is unlisted.

=^..^=