Your favorite airport for $100

JayLink1971

Apr 20, 2015, 11:54:38 AM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

As the landscape overlays near completion, and the nav data and traffic refreshes continue as well, I wanted to remind you that:

If your favorite airport is not already in ATC-SIM, I will add it for $100, usually within 48 hours.

Yes, this is a shameless plug to raise revenue.

If you are interested, email me first to ensure that I can do it, and then simply PayPal $100 (US) to:

It's that simple!

- Jay

Joshua Overmiller

Apr 20, 2015, 12:42:56 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Even if my favorite is KEDW......?

Jay Link

Apr 20, 2015, 12:58:52 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that's an interesting point.

I can definitely do a commercial airport with regular scheduled civilian traffic, or even a GA airport with deducible traffic, but military may pose challenges.

Even that can be done, but the traffic models may not be as you had hoped, as I'm not redoing the entire site in 48 hours for $100.  :-)  Fair enough?

But, this raises some thoughts: maybe an aircraft carrier "Air Boss" sim might be fun in the future, or a dry lakebed near Nellis.

Jay Link

Apr 20, 2015, 1:25:52 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
p.s. If you did want to pay $100 for KEDW, the serial numbers would likely come from here:

Then we'd have to work together on what kind of traffic you'd like to see.

Joshua Overmiller

Apr 20, 2015, 1:27:52 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Haha, I just Edwards out there for a laugh, but would KDCA also be too much of a PITA?  A while back you were considering it, but you wanted to get it right.

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 5:58:52 PM UTC+1, JayLink1971 wrote:
Ok, that's an interesting point.

I can definitely do a commercial airport with regular scheduled civilian traffic, or even a GA airport with deducible traffic, but military may pose challenges.

Even that can be done, but the traffic models may not be as you had hoped, as I'm not redoing the entire site in 48 hours for $100.  :-)  Fair enough?

But, this raises some thoughts: maybe an aircraft carrier "Air Boss" sim might be fun in the future, or a dry lakebed near Nellis.

On Monday, April 20, 2015, Joshua Overmiller <overm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Even if my favorite is KEDW......?

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 4:54:38 PM UTC+1, JayLink1971 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

As the landscape overlays near completion, and the nav data and traffic refreshes continue as well, I wanted to remind you that:

If your favorite airport is not already in ATC-SIM, I will add it for $100, usually within 48 hours.

Yes, this is a shameless plug to raise revenue.

If you are interested, email me first to ensure that I can do it, and then simply PayPal $100 (US) to:

It's that simple!

- Jay

av8nut

Apr 20, 2015, 1:44:01 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I don't think we need anymore airports. 90% of what you have provided, I haven't flown. Maybe that's just me. I guess everybody is different.

However, if your offer was for a ground control sim, I might consider it.

Maybe you should provide an "a la carte" menu for what your capabilities are? After all, we know you can add and update airports.

Mike (av8nut)

Jay Link

Apr 20, 2015, 1:45:40 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com

Haha, I just Edwards out there for a laugh, but would KDCA also be too much of a PITA?  A while back you were considering it, but you wanted to get it right.

Oh, darn it.  You got me again!  Yes, that one is waiting on restricted space, which will also make terrain limitations possible elsewhere, so ...

Third time's the charm?

Jay Link

Apr 20, 2015, 1:51:30 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com

Personally, I don't think we need anymore airports.

My "ulterior motive" is that I'm trying to raise some cash this week, and since I'm already in the process of revamping the existing airports, thought I'd float the longstanding offer of $100 for new airports.

I know some people have had requests.

Jay Link

Apr 20, 2015, 2:20:42 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Here are some ideas. Feel free to suggest anywhere else:

Albuquerque

Buffalo

Columbus

Houston Hobby

Kansas City

Pittsburgh

Portland, OR

Athens

Bangkok

Buenos Aires

Cairo

Cancun

Copenhagen

Fukuoka

Istanbul

Jeddah

Keflavik

Milan

Moscow

New Delhi

Santiago

Sapporo

Shanghai

Stuttgart

Tehran

Warsaw

Maros Marko

Apr 20, 2015, 2:46:15 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

I have been a long time member and were supporting financially also when you wanted to do a lot of interesting changes a few years back.

I just read your e-mail and in general - I think this is a great idea for you to raise funds and develop the sim. After all, we have paid a one off membership fee and get years of fun in return without any other fees.

The only issue I see is, that 100 USD is quite a charge to be paid by one member alone and then all the others get the airports for free. I think it would be far better for you as well as for us to have a croudfunding scheme here, where users would fund 5 or 10 USD each and get to the target amount of 100 USD much faster than if one user would pay it and it would be imho also more fair.

I would suggest that users specify via paypal the IATA or ICAO code of the airport they want to add and you create a page where you publish which airports have been funded and with which amount. Once they get above your target price of 100 USD, you just put them into development.

What do you all think about such approach?

Joshua Overmiller

Apr 20, 2015, 3:15:50 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Maros,

I think this is a great idea.

Alex Thomas

Apr 20, 2015, 4:09:31 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all,

I agree on Kansas City. I'm going there this summer so if possible I'll post a vid of the landing on YT :-). Also, St. Barts would be a cool addition, given the short length of the runway and the Runway 10 approach.

av8nut

Apr 20, 2015, 4:13:06 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com

That's not a bad idea.

Why not just start a development webpage ("The future of ATC-SIM"), wherein users can vote on possible future features/upgrades that Jay could incorporate? This way Jay could see exactly what the majority of users would like, and Jay could list items that he only feels comfortable following through with.
Message has been deleted

Jay Link

Apr 20, 2015, 7:04:53 PM4/20/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Ok, Alex, let's see what the crowd thinks!

Meanwhile, we had a private order for Napa County, and then I have the remainder of the airport revisions.

On Monday, April 20, 2015, Alex Thomas <tale...@gmail.com> wrote:
That sounds really good. We could add that Jay could create and have users vote on them. If you want, I can go ahead and start making a webpage for this.
Message has been deleted

Alex Thomas

Apr 21, 2015, 9:30:00 AM4/21/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Done! Here is the link:

If you have any additional polls or website formatting suggestions, just let me know.

Thanks,

Alex

On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 9:02:35 AM UTC-4, Alex Thomas wrote:
Thanks for giving me this oppurtunity! I will hopefully have the site up and running within 48 hours.

Roy Ryland

Apr 21, 2015, 10:37:25 AM4/21/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
I tried this siet to VOTE, but got NO results...

Jay Link

Apr 21, 2015, 10:48:03 AM4/21/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
That's because no one cares what you think, Roy.

Haha, just kidding!

For which airport did you vote?

Roy Ryland

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10:45 AM4/21/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Pittsburgh..  I love the traffic flow there, although I don't live near there.  Thanks for the consideration.  Roy

Alex Thomas

Apr 21, 2015, 11:31:00 AM4/21/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com, kicker...@bellsouth.net
The results show that Pittsburgh was chosen by someone. I'm pretty sure it went through. However, the site is still in the troubleshooting stage, so there's still plenty of work for me to do.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/atc-sim.

Jay Link

Apr 21, 2015, 11:39:49 AM4/21/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Meanwhile, a rough version of Napa County is available, thanks to the first $100 donor.

Will finish it tonight.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/atc-sim.

BNAer75

Apr 22, 2015, 12:13:01 PM4/22/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Jay,

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, but seeing your message with a "shameless plug for revenue" made me think back to my donation during the ATC 2.0 Sim charge 2+ years ago.  With that project in vaporware status, I think you could have worded your request a bit differently.  Still, enjoy your work and glad to see you continuing to support your current product.

Regards.

Jay Link

Apr 22, 2015, 12:15:54 PM4/22/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Do you have an airport request towards which you'd like to apply your previous donation?

I'd like to make things right -- would you prefer a simple refund, since we're only at about ATC-SIM 1.2?

Those are the two things I can offer quickly.

- Jay

BNAer75

Apr 22, 2015, 12:32:26 PM4/22/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Jay,

No, I'd like you to keep the money in support of ATC-SIM. Just wanted to give that input on what I (and probably some other 2.0 donators) were thinking.

If you could add Boise, Idaho (BOI) to your new airport list, and give some continued love to Nashville, Tennessee (BNA), you'd make my day!

Regards.

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015, BNAer75 <lelan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jay,

Maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, but seeing your message with a "shameless plug for revenue" made me think back to my donation during the ATC 2.0 Sim charge 2+ years ago.  With that project in vaporware status, I think you could have worded your request a bit differently.  Still, enjoy your work and glad to see you continuing to support your current product.

Regards.

Jay Link

Jeff Schaefer

Apr 23, 2015, 1:20:46 PM4/23/15
to atc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

I just want to offer my two cents on this. Software projects fail. It happens all the time for all sorts of reasons. I am a web developer myself and I have had my share of projects go wrong, with and without paying customers. I think your concerns are legitimate, and you are not wrong to feel the way you do about ATC sim 2.0, but it is time to let it go. Jay has been more than fair in offering refunds. It has been long enough now that you really can't complain about that project anymore. Either take the refund, or just be happy to support ATC-sim as it grows. If we, as a community can't get past one derailed project, we are paralyzing Jay and making it harder for him to improve the existing system. So I for one am happy to let Jay keep my ATC-sim 2.0 money. I am happy with the progress of ATC-sim. I am happy to see him offer new airports for $100. It's a great way to grow the product! I hope there will be more offers from Jay to pay for airports/traffic/features/etc if that was his plan.

BNAer75, I'm not trying to single you out, I just think this had to be said at some point.

Jeff