Re: New to bbdb3 and Asynk

Sriram Karra

Mar 4, 2017, 10:59:39 AM3/4/17
to Dave Goldberg, as...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I am the author of ASynK. There is a separate mailing list for discussing ASynK related topics. I have copied that list and moved bbdb-info to Bcc.

I am sorry you are having trouble setting up ASynK. It's not as straightforward as it could be, and it's something that I may fix in the future (years :-)

Getting prompted for gc credentials twice is a problem. Can you send me suitably anonimized ~/.asynk/state.json file for the profile you created? The documentation has a bunch of recipes at this location: http://asynk.io/doc/asynk/asynk_6.html If you want to try some of them out, suggest you start from a clean slate by rolling back the clock on the gc side. It will, at a minimum, make debugging earlier. I am happy to help you get this to a running state.

-Sriram

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 4:14 AM, Dave Goldberg <david.g...@verizon.net> wrote:
Today I (finally) upgraded to bbdb3, primarily because I want to use Asynk to keep .bbdb and google contacts in sync.  So far the bbdb3 upgrade has gone OK.  A few of my old customizations have to be updated or trashed but I have enough elisp experience, however dated, to figure that out.

Unfortunately I can't say the same about python.  I don't know if this is the best place to ask about an Asynk problem that is almost certainly user error.  Please redirect me if it's not.

I was able to create a profile with bbdb and gc using the google oauth instructions.  However when I sync it, I end up with every record in google duplicated, many, if not all, actually tripled (I did get prompted for gc creds twice) and .bbdb ends up being unusable - I didn't keep the error but it complained about a record not being a proper list.  Fortunately I know how to revert both and have done so.  Given the existence of the credentials file for google, is there a recipe for properly setting up a bbdb<->google sync profile and running it?

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.g...@verizon.net

Dave Goldberg

Mar 4, 2017, 11:10:20 PM3/4/17
to Sriram Karra, as...@googlegroups.com
Sriram,

> I am the author of ASynK. There is a separate mailing list for discussing
> ASynK related topics. I have copied that list and moved bbdb-info to Bcc.

Thanks very much. I'm familiar with googlegroups as a concept, but not as an actual user - what's the process for signing up?

> Getting prompted for gc credentials twice is a problem. Can you send me
> suitably anonimized ~/.asynk/state.json file for the profile you created?

I'm traveling for work this week and away from the computer where I'll be running asynk. I'll retry according to your directions when I get home next weekend. I recall taking a look at that file when trying to figure it out on my own. The only thing I recall seeing in there was my email address at google. Is there anything else I should be worried about?

Sriram Karra

Mar 6, 2017, 3:40:58 AM3/6/17
to as...@googlegroups.com, Dave Goldberg
On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Dave Goldberg <david.g...@verizon.net> wrote:
Sriram,

> I am the author of ASynK. There is a separate mailing list for discussing
> ASynK related topics. I have copied that list and moved bbdb-info to Bcc.

Thanks very much.  I'm familiar with googlegroups as a concept, but not as an actual user - what's the process for signing up?

> Getting prompted for gc credentials twice is a problem. Can you send me
> suitably anonimized ~/.asynk/state.json file for the profile you created?

I'm traveling for work this week and away from the computer where I'll be running asynk.  I'll retry according to your directions when I get home next weekend.  I recall taking a look at that file when trying to figure it out on my own.  The only thing I recall seeing in there was my email address at google.  Is there anything else I should be worried about?

There are no passwords in that file at all. The rest depends on your level of paranoia. The value of 'stid' in different profiles gives away deails of servers / software you use to store your contacts. There is a field called 'items' that contains IDs of contacts, which are not very sensitive by themselves as access to those resources are authencicated. Overall there's nothing to worried about in just that file.

-Sriram

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.g...@verizon.net

--
Find ASynK useful? Consider leaving a tip at this Bitcoin address: 1KarraEGixRyScZ9qFHdekxNkgpPTuzWBc
---