Re: BBDB sync with MacOS Contacts

Sriram Karra

Feb 14, 2022, 2:26:06 AM2/14/22
to Pieter van Oostrum, as...@googlegroups.com, bbdb...@nongnu.org
[Fixed ASynK email alias]

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 11:23 PM Sriram Karra <karr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pieter,

I am the author of ASynK. Can you share what version you are using, and what errors you are seeing? I've not had much time to hack on ASynK recently, but BBDB Version 9 file format support was added to ASynK with this commit back in 2018 and also includes some test files as well. I don't see anything broken with the basic file format parsing for v9, so at best you are seeing a bug, which I am happy to look at. BTW, you could run the tests by doing 'cd ${asynk-dir}/test/gold && make bb'. Can you tell me what you are seeing?

-Karra

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 2:48 AM Pieter van Oostrum <piet...@vanoostrum.org> wrote:
Hi,

I want to synchronize my MacOS contacts with bbdb. I have done this in the past, but it doesn't work anymore. So I am looking for a new solution to this.

My previous setup was as follows: I have an app 'Contacts Sync for Google Gmail' on my MacBook, that syncs the MacOS Contacts with my Google Contacts. And then I had the ASynK program to sync the Google contacts with bbdb. The former works flawlessly, but the latter (ASynK) had a lot of problems, often ruining my .bbdb, but fortunately making backups first.

ASynK no longer works, first because I upgraded to a newer version of BBDB, which uses file format 9, whereas ASynk only works with file format 7, and secondly because the Python Google libraries for the sync have changed and ASynK is no longer compatible with them.

So now I am looking for a new way to do this. I really don't need the intermediate step with Google Contacts, as I don't use Gmail, so a direct sync between BBDB AND MACOS Contacts would be preferable, but if the only possibility is to use Google Contacts that is OK.

I haven't been able to find a solution. Maybe I should switch to another Emacs Contacts manager? Does anyone know how tp do it?
--
Pieter van Oostrum <pie...@vanoostrum.org>
www: http://pieter.vanoostrum.org/

Pieter van Oostrum

Feb 14, 2022, 9:20:50 AM2/14/22
to Sriram Karra, as...@googlegroups.com, bbdb...@nongnu.org
Sriram Karra wrote:

> [Fixed ASynK email alias]
>
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 11:23 PM Sriram Karra <karr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Pieter,
>
> I am the author of ASynK. Can you share what version you are using, and what errors you are
> seeing? I've not had much time to hack on ASynK recently, but BBDB Version 9 file format
> support was added to ASynK with this commit back in 2018 and also includes some test files as
> well. I don't see anything broken with the basic file format parsing for v9, so at best you
> are seeing a bug, which I am happy to look at. BTW, you could run the tests by doing 'cd $
> {asynk-dir}/test/gold && make bb'. Can you tell me what you are seeing?

Hi Karra,

Thanks for your response.

I had an older version. It was 2.2.0, commit 5d86a23, with some changes that I made myself to allow more types of phone numbers, e.g. instead of 'Mobile', I also allowed 'iPhone', and I accepted these also with lower case, because some had 'home' instead of 'Home' etc.

I also changed uuid1() to uuid4(), although I can't remember why. But these didn't change the basic functionality. But at that time there was not support for version 9.

And then later, the underlying Google API library changed, so ASynK wouldn't work anymore, and I gave up and updated BBDB so I got version 9 file format support.

I have now fetched the new Github code and I will try to see if that works.

Pieter.
--
Pieter van Oostrum

Sriram Karra

Feb 16, 2022, 2:14:50 AM2/16/22
to Pieter van Oostrum, bbdb...@nongnu.org, as...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 3:35 PM Pieter van Oostrum <piet...@vanoostrum.org> wrote:

But when I try to set up the Google accounts stuf, with asynk  --op=list-folders --db gc --store google, after going through the Google login, I get this error messsage:

gdata.client.RequestError: Server responded with: 400, Contacts API is being deprecated. Migrate to People API to retain programmatic access to Google Contacts. See https://developers.google.com/people/contacts-api-migration.

So I am stuck now.

Ah! Indeed ... the Contacts API has been deprecated for a while  and I have been lazily working on the People API; it's just not ready yet. Dang, did not realize it was already time for them to shut it down entirely. Sorry about that ... Will announce to the ASynK list when it is ready (don't know when)

-Karra