Does AsyncSSH use PyCrypto or Cryptography?

Nicholas Chammas

May 5, 2015, 9:05:23 PM5/5/15
to asyncs...@googlegroups.com
I am following a pull request against Paramiko that moves it from PyCrypto to a new (and perhaps better) Python crypto library called Cryptography.

That got me wondering about what AsyncSSH was using.

I took a look at setup.py, but it seems the answer is both. Is that correct? I'm just curious.

Nick

Ron Frederick

May 5, 2015, 10:14:22 PM5/5/15
to Nicholas Chammas, asyncs...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that’s correct. The original version of AsyncSSH was based on PyCrypto, but I later added support for PyCA (aka Cryptography), and it can now use either. Each has a slightly different set of supported ciphers, but if you have both installed AsyncSSH will actually use both. It will also now take advantage of other packages to round out its set of supported ciphers, including bcrypt, curve25519-donna, and libnacl/libsodium.

At least one of PyCrypto or Cryptography must be installed for AsyncSSH to work, but all of the others are optional. If they’re available, the additional ciphers, key types, and key encryption options will automatically be enabled.
--
Ron Frederick

Nicholas Chammas

May 5, 2015, 11:27:18 PM5/5/15