the future of our world

1 view

Renee

Sep 23, 2007, 1:57:52 PM9/23/07
to ASU English - Sichuan University
Hello everyone! My name is Renee and I am a senior in literature at
ASU. I am, like many on this discussion board, in Dr. McNeil's class
here at ASU about our relationship to the environment. I, also, plan
to go to graduate school for peace and conflict resolution. I have
always felt that one of the only worthwhile things I can do in this
life is to make the world a better place. Improving how we treat the
environment is a big part of that. I want future generations to be
able to live in this world happily.

I do believe that we have to work on peace and justice before we can
focus on the environment. I believe that until the violence stops,
until everyone's voice is heard, until we make decisions for
everyone's good we will not fully solve the problem with the
environment. For example, if the very small number of people with the
power now no longer were able to value making more money over human
and non-human lives all life on this planet would be better off. Not
that I believe we shouldn't try to conserve while there still exists
violence and inequality. I am a big fan of reducing, reusing and
recycling. I just believe that we should head toward the root of the
problem. Not ignoring any off-shoots problems of the core issue or
anything we can do to make the world a better place, just focusing on
the core.

I was interested in what other people thought about this. I know the
title of my subject heading is weighty but I hope it didn't deter
anyone. I would love to hear some opinions from another country. I
hope everyone is well.

Renee