Call for presenters for astropy workshop at Python in Heliophysics summer school

Matt Craig

Feb 11, 2022, 2:53:21 PM2/11/22
to astropy-dev
Greetings,

The Coordination Committee was contact by an organizer of the Python in Heliophysics Summer School because they are looking for a person (or two) to present a 2.5 hour workshop at the summer school. Since it will be held in Madrid, this would be a particularly good opportunity for European astropy collaborators.

Some more details are below -- if you are interested please reply to this email  and include a very short description of your experience delivering workshops similar to this.

There is quite a bit of material that has been developed for astropy workshops at the AAS that could be reused in this context.

PyHC and ESAC leadership have been hard at work putting together plans for a PyHC 2022 Summer School. The Summer School itself is currently planned to be held at ESAC in Madrid, Spain from Monday, 30 May 2022 to Friday, 4 June 2022, with remote participation options. Each day (save for Wednesday) will span about 7 hours, starting 1-2 PM Madrid time to accommodate for US remote participation. The Summer School is geared towards graduate students, early career scientists, and established scientists looking to transition to Python (all in the Heliophysics and Space Weather domains).

The idea for the PyHC Summer School is that we'll have PyHC core (SunPy, PlasmaPy, SpacePy, pysat, and pySPEDAS) and other highly-used packages each have about 2.5 hours to present on their software. Specifically, we're hoping to have each project present project introductions, demos/tutorials of package functionality, and show examples of science questions to be answered with that package (bonus points for combining with other PyHC packages). Ideally, in-person participation is best, but we plan to arrange for remote participation for instructors if needed.

Thanks,
Matt Craig, on behalf of the Coordination Committee