Upcoming v5.3 feature freeze

Simon Conseil

Apr 7, 2023, 4:04:43 PM4/7/23
to Astropy Dev, astropy-core-maintainers
Hi everyone,

The feature freeze for v5.3 is going to happen in 2 weeks (2023-04-21,
see https://github.com/astropy/astropy/wiki/Release-Calendar).

As a reminder/introduction if this is your first time, the current
philosophy of feature freeze is that PRs for new features should be
*merged* by the time of branching to be included in the release. Bugs
or documentation changes can be included up to the time of release,
although it's a bit more work to do that post-freeze because it
requires a backport. After the v5.3.x branch has been created, any
unmerged pull requests to add new features will be re-milestoned to
v6.0.

In practice this means there's probably not time left for any complex
PRs and we should focus on trying to review and wrap up as many of the
already opened PRs as possible. There are currently 42 PRs milestoned
for v5.3:

https://github.com/astropy/astropy/milestones/v5.3

I would encourage all sub-package maintainers to check if there are any
pull requests to review for your sub-packages and see what can be done
to move them forward. It would be great to get many of these merged.

Please also consider writing sections for the 'What's new in v5.3' page
to advertise new features or significant changes:

https://github.com/astropy/astropy/blob/main/docs/whatsnew/5.3.rst

It would help a lot if you can add these before rather than after
feature freeze.

Thanks to all who have contributed thus far!

Cheers,
Simon

Note: I will the Release Manager for v5.3

Pey Lian Lim

Apr 18, 2023, 5:22:44 PM4/18/23
to astropy-dev
For v5.3, I just merged https://github.com/astropy/astropy/pull/14286 that drops Python 3.8 (minversion is now Python 3.9) and drops matplotlib 3.2 (minversion is now 3.3). As a result, names of CI jobs have changed and I have to update the branch protection rules. All open PRs need to be rebased against upstream/main to pass the branch protection rules. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

tl;dr -- Rebase your PRs!