Astropy DEI Recommendations Report

Jonah Duckles

Apr 22, 2024, 5:14:45 PMApr 22
to astropy-dev

We recently completed some interviews that asked Astropy community members about the state and future of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) practices within the Astropy project. This  report synthesizes recommendations derived from the in-depth interviews, aiming to foster a more inclusive and vibrant Astropy community.

Key Highlights from the Report:

🌐 Newcomer Engagement: A shared concern is around the importance of increasing newcomer engagement.

🤝 Embracing Diverse Contributions: The report highlights the need to broaden definitions of valuable contributions beyond traditional software development.

🌱 Cultivating Positive Trends: Astropy is encouraged to recognize and cultivate positive, ongoing trends in overlapping communities. This includes highlighting impactful role models and offering clear guidance to maintainers for fostering an inclusive atmosphere.

Access the Full Report: Dive deeper into the report to explore these recommendations and more here.

This report goes hand-in-hand with the Community Engagement Survey results . We hope that both will be helpful for the Astropy community in setting collective goals and developing strategies for reaching them.

We're happy to take questions, or run a community session on either or both reports. Just let us know if there is interest there.

Regards,

Jonah, Dan, Beth (The OrgMycology Team)

Jonah Duckles

Apr 22, 2024, 5:20:42 PMApr 22