Astropy Paper 3: Draft 1 ready for comments

Adrian Price-Whelan

Apr 4, 2022, 3:29:50 PM4/4/22
to astropy-dev, astropy-core-maintainers, AstroPy Coordinators

Dear all,

We have finished a first draft of the next Astropy paper (“Paper 3” / “v5.0”), which you can download from GitHub:

PDF: https://github.com/astropy/astropy-v5.0-paper/blob/main-pdf/ms.pdf

Source repository: https://github.com/astropy/astropy-v5.0-paper

We are now soliciting feedback and comments on the text, and are making a last call for authors (see below for details). The comment period will be open until April 15, at which point we will finalize any remaining comments and prepare the draft and author list for submission. We will circulate a final draft on April 18 with the full author list and ask for any corrections to names, affiliations, or acknowledgements. We plan to submit the draft to AAS journals around April 22.

How to comment / provide feedback:

(Please check open pull requests and discussion items before raising a comment or making edits to avoid duplication.)

- If you would like to make small grammatical fixes or minor changes to the text, please do this by opening a pull request to the paper source repository.

- If you would like to suggest larger edits, restructures, or give general comments, please use the GitHub Discussions page in the paper repository. For each comment you have, make a new discussion item:

  • If a text comment, include the section number in the title (e.g., “Section 5.2: restructure first paragraph”);

  • if a figure comment, include the figure number in the title (e.g., “Figure 2: make labels bigger”).

How to join as an author:

Please fill out the authorship form https://forms.gle/qu5ypTp9qPuoPbRu9

For Astropy core contributors: Please also audit the following spreadsheet (this is the source data for Figure 3). I compiled this information by looking at everyone’s CVs to find out what position you had at the midpoint of each date range (April 2013, September 2016, February 2020, respectively). Please let me know if I have mischaracterized your position at these times!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iGiWn-KTG88lMZ6_79y1NkoK7kJ5-u5K6AajlQ8xVm0/edit#gid=1495396804

Thank you to all who contributed text to the draft!

- Adrian (on behalf of the Paper 3 coordination committee)

Nicholas Earl

Pey Lian Lim

Adrian Price-Whelan

--