APE 21 (and APE 2 changes): Ending Long Term Support (LTS) releases

Thomas Robitaille

Apr 28, 2023, 4:59:30 PM4/28/23
to astropy-dev mailing list
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd send this around prior to next week's coordination meeting. APE 21 is now ready for review – the main proposal is to no longer have LTS releases for the core package and to also have more explicit guidelines on API changes and deprecations. APE 21 describes the motivation for this and the big picture plan, and if accepted, APE 2 would be updated simultaneously to reflect the new release plan and guidelines on API changes and deprecations.

You can review APE 21 and the proposed changes to APE 2 here:

For APE 2, as the diff is quite substantial you might simply want to view the suggested final version by going to the changes and selecting 'View File' for APE2.rst.

If you have opinions about this, please feel free to review and leave comments/suggestions in the PR. You can also simply approve if you are on board with it as it will help give us a sense of whether there is consensus on this.

Thanks!
Tom

Thomas Robitaille

May 15, 2023, 5:54:17 AM5/15/23
to astropy-dev mailing list
Hi everyone,

I have now updated APE 21 and the associated changes to APE 2 to reflect what I believe was the consensus from the 2023 coordination meeting

Please take a look at the latest documents and leave comments/suggestions as needed - if you are happy with them, please put a comment to that effect so that we can judge whether consensus has been reached. It would be great if people could take a look by the end of this week - Friday 18th May.

Thanks!
Tom