Next Astropy Dev Telecons

Adrian Price-Whelan

Jan 3, 2022, 2:40:36 PM1/3/22
to astropy-dev, astropy-core-maintainers, AstroPy Coordinators
Hi all,

A few updates about the Astropy Developer telecons:

- First, as a reminder, these are open telecons for all contributors and developers associated with the Astropy project, and serves as a venue for us to discuss relevant project-wide ideas, initiatives, or topics. Please join and contribute to these telecons if you participate in developing the core package or affiliated packages!

- For the next few months, we plan to try out an alternating day schedule in an attempt to enable as many people to join. The next meetings will be:
Tuesday January 11 at 11:00 AM Eastern
Thursday February 3 at 12:00 PM Eastern
Tuesday March 1 at 11:00 AM Eastern
Thursday April 7 at 12:00 PM Eastern
We will send reminders before these telecons.

Please feel free to add agenda items for the next telecon.

- I updated the wiki page about the telecons with this information:

- Adrian
(on behalf of the dev telecon organizers)

--
Adrian M. Price-Whelan (he / him)
Associate Research Scientist

Moritz Guenther

Jan 6, 2022, 9:50:03 PM1/6/22
to astro...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

a short reminder about the next dev telecon: Tuesday January 11 at at 17:00 CET / 16:00 UTC / 11:00 AM EST (zoom info at the bottom of the email).

Notes of previous meetings and agenda are here (please add items that should be discussed to the agenda!): https://docs.google.com/document/d/15JSFh3OMF9Iz6ov3q_xxGO_BL8hRnuse4IMUrqEIvcg/edit#

The agenda, as currently listed, is copied below for convenience. There are a number of topics that have been discussed in github issues before, but the discussion stalled or is inconclusive. We'll try to resolve those in the telecon. If you can't attend, but have opinions, please comment on the issues before the telecon; if you plan to attend it might be helpful to read through those issues before we meet. (We may not get through all items currently on the agenda and will postpone the remaining ones to the next meeting.)

Yours,

Moritz

  • Discussion of NumFocus Summit from those who attended

  • Should scipy be a required dependency? (https://github.com/astropy/astropy/issues/12448)

  • In https://github.com/astropy/astropy-project/issues/136 there is consensus that a “general maintainer” role should be established, but not on what exactly this role should be.

  • Status of the astropy package template: Should it be retired in favor of https://packaging-guide.openastronomy.org/en/latest/? There is much overlap between the OA guide and the package template, so in the long term it might be good not to have both. However, is there feature parity? Is a migration needed? Should we formally deprecate astropy-template and ask people to migrate? Or should we simply not update it any longer? Or maybe keep both because they are different?

  • Our relationship with external packagers (debian, arch-linux, …., conda, conda-forge):

    • What would we like to see from external packagers for astropy? Debian tests on a variety of platforms and supplies very useful bug reports. Conda-forge is run by Matt. We hardly hear from any other platform. Do we want to reach out and see why? What do we expect? What are the communication channels? Is it on us or on them?

    • What can external packagers expect from astropy in return? Debugging? Testing? Listing on astropy.org/team? Co-authorship on astropy papers? Other? Nothing?

  • Go through the list of old repros and decide which ones can be archived (e.g. meetings in 2015, notebooks and ideas that never worked out): https://github.com/orgs/astropy/repositories?type=all

  • Work time to triage / label / review issues and PRs

Topic: Monthly Dev Telecon

Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/94465601266?pwd=aldieHR3NGp2RlRnWEtZanlCaVgzZz09

Meeting ID: 944 6560 1266

Passcode: astropy!

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,94465601266# US (San Jose)

+12532158782,,94465601266# US (Tacoma)

Dial by your location

+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)

+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)

+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)

+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)

+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)

Meeting ID: 944 6560 1266

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acZSd0YHV2

Join by SIP 94465...@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323

162.255.37.11 (US West)

162.255.36.11 (US East)

115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)

115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)

213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)

213.244.140.110 (Germany)

103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)

103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)

149.137.40.110 (Singapore)

64.211.144.160 (Brazil)

69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)

65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)

207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo)

149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka)

Meeting ID: 944 6560 1266 Passcode: 81685094

Moritz Guenther

Jan 11, 2022, 11:06:42 AM1/11/22
to astro...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I don't know how to start the zoom meeting on the account it was scheduled on. Instead use this zoom link for today

Moritz Guenther is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Moritz Guenther's Personal Meeting Room

Join Zoom Meeting
https://mit.zoom.us/j/5602014476

Join by SIP
56020...@zoomcrc.com