Plots sometimes in inverse colors

Toni Šarić

Dec 1, 2022, 10:02:06 AM12/1/22
to astrometry
Why are plots sometimes in inverse colors?
Usually, I mask part of my image with pure black(pixel value 0) and then I solve an image.
The plots (-indx.png) look fine, the first part is a starfield with red and green circles, and the second part is pure black(which I masked).
But sometimes, plots are inverted, the starfield is all white, and red and green circles are on it.
Example in attachment
temp.png

Dustin Lang

Dec 1, 2022, 10:43:31 AM12/1/22
to Toni Šarić, astrometry
Hi,

That's strange!  Would you be able to attach (or upload to nova.astrometry.net and send a link) an example image after you have masked it?  Are you using FITS format or some other image format?
Maybe the background / bias level of your image is quite high, so zero is much lower than the pixel values?  This looks like it's not inverted - the stars are still brighter than the background, but the background is very bright.  Or maybe there's a signed/unsigned integer issue...?

thanks,
dustin

Message has been deleted

Toni Šarić

Dec 1, 2022, 5:14:54 PM12/1/22
to astrometry
Hi Dustin, thanks for reply.
I am attaching the image(masked one) in FITS format which I usually use for solving.
When I solve the same image without masking it, the output plots are normal.
Perhaps the problem is with the masked part, because I set a value to zero, and it is too dark.

Cheers
test.fits

Dustin Lang

Dec 2, 2022, 8:58:24 AM12/2/22
to Toni Šarić, astrometry
Hi Toni,

Right, it looks like the background level in your image is ~ 1500, so the masked regions with value 0 are way darker than the sky level.  For FITS images, the astrometry.net plotting code by default sets the black/white range to pixel percentiles: 25th and 95th percentile.  So with a large region set to zero, that's going to throw off the percentiles :)

cheers,
dustin

Toni Šarić

Dec 5, 2022, 6:25:23 AM12/5/22
to astrometry
I see, thanks for explanation.
What is then better for astrometry solving,  to crop out that part of the image or leave it masked?
Would it mess with noise estimate?

Cheers
Toni

Dustin Lang

Dec 12, 2022, 4:41:02 PM12/12/22
to Toni Šarić, astrometry
Hi,

That's a good question, it will slightly disturb the noise estimation.  (That is done using a median, so it's fairly robust, but having a lot of 0.0 values will throw it off a bit.)

cheers,
dustin