Re: [Astrometry] Digest for astrometry@googlegroups.com - 7 updates in 2 topics

Paul Leyland

Dec 2, 2021, 1:02:27 PM12/2/21
to astro...@googlegroups.com

I have been bitten, several times, by "errors" which turned out to be caused by stars with unusually high proper motion.

Pays to be careful. The term "fixed stars" is at best an approximation.

On 01/12/2021 10:34, astro...@googlegroups.com wrote:
"Toni Šarić" <tonis...@gmail.com>: Nov 30 02:46AM -0800

Thanks you very much Dustin for your thorough answer and clear explanation.
I will use tweak_order=2 from now on.
I noticed in .corr file fairly large separation between index and field
star of 180 arcseconds for one particular star while mean separation is
around 11' with std of 22''.
Would it be smart to remove that star from solving? Will I get better
accuracy if this star is not used?
I can exclude it, and other similar(bad) matches that with parameter
"pixel-error", right?

BR
Toni

Dustin Lang <dstn...@gmail.com>: Nov 30 07:53AM -0500

The tweak algorithm downweights matches at large radius -- there corr file
should have a column named WEIGHT or something like that.

"Toni Šarić" <tonis...@gmail.com>: Nov 30 07:12AM -0800

Yes it does.
It gives weight of 0.5 for that particular star.
Just for clarification, 180 arcseconds in my image is roughly 10 pixels
difference.

If I put "pixel-error" = 0.2, that star is excluded from the solving.
But still there are other matched stars with separation ~ 14 arcseconds
which is more than 0.2 pixels, but it shouldn't be, if I understood that
parameter correctly.

My apologies for so many questions, if you have some user guide with more
detailed explanation for parameters, it would be really helpful.

BR
Toni

Dustin Lang <dstn...@gmail.com>: Nov 30 10:17AM -0500

pixel-error isn't a maximum, it's a Gaussian standard deviation

"Toni Šarić" <tonis...@gmail.com>: Nov 30 07:20AM -0800

That makes sense, thanks for clarification.

"Toni Šarić" <tonis...@gmail.com>: Nov 30 04:45AM -0800

Raising from the dead.
I am also curious about those two parameters.

Dustin Lang <dstn...@gmail.com>: Nov 30 07:49AM -0500

--code-tolerance is about quadrangle matching and determines which possible
matches will be evaluated.

--pixel-error is used when evaluating potential matches, and also during
tweak. It is supposed to be the uncertainty on detected star positions.

So yes, both would affect which matches will be accepted.