Solve a Bayered image?

Gerrit Barrere

Jul 5, 2021, 11:31:38 PM7/5/21
to astrometry
My astro image capture software produces a Bayered FITS image from my one-shot camera.  Will Astrometry handle that okay?

Thanks for any help,
Gerrit

Dustin Lang

Jul 6, 2021, 6:11:14 AM7/6/21
to Gerrit Barrere, astrometry
Hi,
I would guess it won't handle it automatically, because the different color planes will have different brightness levels, so we might have trouble detecting stars correctly.
The easiest way to find out would be to try uploading one to nova.astrometry.net/upload :)
If it doesn't work, try increasing the "Downsample" factor from 2 to, say, 4.  That applies a smoothing filter before binning down the image, so might average over the Bayer grid and result in correct star detection.
cheers,
--dustin

Gerrit Barrere

Jul 6, 2021, 11:46:53 AM7/6/21