Python API

Swagat Bordoloi

Apr 19, 2023, 2:55:30 PM4/19/23
to astrometry
Hi Dustin,
I've been using your astrometry-net build software and it's working like a charm. So thanks for that first of all.
I have just a few queries and a problem i'm facing with the python api code.

1. I put the client.py file and NUV image, and i'm running the command

python3 client.py -k qnyhtznkjyurojpd -u ngc-6791.fits --newfits new.fits

but it's giving me error : EOF occured in violation of protocol.

2. I know the program doesn't work well for FUV images, but there was one instance where the program solved for NGC 2419 fuv image, but the other times it couldn't run, even after following the same procedure. I'm understanding that the program works with a catalog (most probably tycho and 2mass catalog) (also correct me if i'm wrong) which is in the astrometry-net database. Why is this so?

Also, any tips on how I can make that work with FUV images?

Regards,

Swagat

P.S. The software is perfect tool for anyone using it.

Dustin Lang

Apr 19, 2023, 4:24:51 PM4/19/23
to Swagat Bordoloi, astrometry
Hmmm, I've never seen that "EOF" error before -- do you get that consistently with that image, or just sometimes?  Would you be able to share that image?

And yes, FUV images are tough, mostly because there is not much overlap between FUV sources and the optical sources in the catalogs (Tycho-2, USNO-B1 and Gaia).  I did at one point build some custom NUV/FUV catalogs from the GALEX catalogs; those are available here in the 6100/6200 directories, http://data.astrometry.net/ ; using those would require downloading and running the code on your computer.

cheers,
dustin

Swagat Bordoloi

Apr 19, 2023, 5:14:07 PM4/19/23
to astrometry
Sure thing Justin

I'll try with the NUV images as you instructed.

I tried uploading the image here, it showed error occurred. Is there some other means of sharing the image?

Thanks

Regards
Swagat

Swagat Bordoloi

Apr 19, 2023, 5:15:13 PM4/19/23
to astrometry
Also, I forgot to mention, it doesn't just happen with one image, but with all the images infact.

Swagat Bordoloi

Apr 27, 2023, 5:39:22 AM4/27/23
to astrometry
Hi Dustin,
Is it required to make healpix out of the binary table fits files? THe GALEX catalog is already separated into different  separation with 5 deg latitude separation. So, I making the index files is working without the healpix with the command:

           build-astrometry-index -i bin_cat_25-30.fits -o index25-30N -P 4 -e 1 -S fuv_mag -I 8005

I'm not sure about the scale, so please comment on it too.

Thanks

Regards,
Swagat

Dustin Lang

Apr 27, 2023, 7:34:14 AM4/27/23
to Swagat Bordoloi, astrometry
There are full instructions on how to build GALEX index files -- and pre-built files -- here