Field of view too full of stars problem

Maria Mastropietro

May 15, 2023, 5:09:12 PM5/15/23
to astrometry
Hello,

I uploaded on astrometry.net an image, but it is too full of stars and it fails.
What can the solution be?

Thank you in advance
Maria

Maria Mastropietro

May 15, 2023, 5:20:51 PM5/15/23
to astrometry

Dustin Lang

May 15, 2023, 11:17:04 PM5/15/23
to Maria Mastropietro, astrometry
Hi Maria,

If I'm understanding the image headers correctly, your image is about 4' on a side.  By default, the web service only searches for WCS solutions 6' and larger.  When you upload your image, you can go into the "Advanced Setting", then "Scale", then select "tiny (2 to 10 arcmin)" (or "custom" and give bounds, like 3.5 to 4.5 arcmin).

cheers,
dustin

Maria Mastropietro

May 16, 2023, 2:07:43 AM5/16/23