Performance on projected vs unprojected images

Bekah Albach

Jan 20, 2023, 12:02:19 PM1/20/23
to astrometry
Hi,

I'm curious about the performance of astrometry.net on projected vs unprojected images (for example, detector space images). When I run a projected image and detector space image of the same area, the resulting solution varies slightly, and I think the detector space solution is more correct. Is astrometry.net meant to run on only unprojected images?

Thanks,
Rebekah Albach

Dustin Lang

Jan 20, 2023, 2:14:30 PM1/20/23
to Bekah Albach, astrometry
Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by project/unprojected/detector-space.  The core astrometry.net algorithms are designed around TANgent-plane projections.

The "tweak" algorithm is supposed to fit for a polynomial distortion that takes pixel space (maybe what you're calling detector space) to a TANgent-plane.

cheers,
dustin