Search solved images by location?

Adam Ginsburg

Aug 21, 2022, 3:02:56 PM8/21/22
to astrometry
Is it possible to search the list of solved images by location?  It would be useful to grab some of these as 'finder charts' when other services don't work (e.g., DSS is saturated toward M42).

paul.l...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2022, 6:44:38 AM8/22/22
to astrometry
Nice idea, which I support.

A good source of finder charts, but for stars only, is https://app.aavso.org/vsp/

In particular https://app.aavso.org/vsp/chart/?ra=05%3A35%3A17.30&dec=-05%3A23%3A28.0&scale=A&orientation=visual&type=chart&fov=120.0&maglimit=15.0&title=M42+2+degrees+to+mag+15&resolution=150&north=up&east=left will give you a finder chart two degrees across centered on M42 and showing stars down to 15th magnitude.  Still rather crowded though ...

Dustin Lang

Aug 22, 2022, 8:43:21 AM8/22/22
to Adam Ginsburg, astrometry
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the Legacy Surveys sky viewer lets you make cutouts centered on a given RA,Dec and with a given pixel scale & image size.
eg,
If you click on the map, the "Cutout" link is like this,
where you can change the pixel scale and (pixel) size.  The unWISE layers are all-sky.

cheers,
dustin

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022 at 3:03 PM Adam Ginsburg <adam.g....@gmail.com> wrote:
Is it possible to search the list of solved images by location?  It would be useful to grab some of these as 'finder charts' when other services don't work (e.g., DSS is saturated toward M42).

Adam Ginsburg

Aug 22, 2022, 8:55:30 AM8/22/22
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
The cutout server and viewer are cool, but I'm looking to search through the images that were submitted to astrometry.net and then solved.  I'd like to find images that are of comparable depth and resolution to the telescopes we have access to - i.e., 6-30 inch telescopes operated under ~5" seeing conditions with optical CCDs.  I believe many such images are submitted to and solved on nova.astrometry.net - I'd like to be able to search for them.
--
Adam Ginsburg
Assistant Professor, Department of Astronomy

Dustin Lang

Aug 22, 2022, 8:59:55 AM8/22/22
to Adam Ginsburg, astrometry
Well, you can search by (auto-generated) tag
or by RA,Dec,radius sky location

It looks like all the search pages are pretty slow to load, so be patient!

cheers,
dustin

Adam Ginsburg

Aug 22, 2022, 9:02:52 AM8/22/22
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Thanks!  I somehow failed to see the location button next to the tag button on the explore page.  I swear it wasn't there yesterday...