RA&DEC residuals

Ning B

May 9, 2023, 11:37:45 PM5/9/23
to astrometry
I have some images ,FOV is 2.3°×1.5°
I use wcs-xy2rd to get the ra,dec (SIP=3),and crossmatch with gaiadr2 catalog
here is my residuals picture ,I can't explain this problem about ra's residual
thanks for your any help

0510.png

Dustin Lang

May 14, 2023, 4:29:56 AM5/14/23
to Ning B, astrometry
Hi,

You could try creating a "quiver plot" -- plot in RA,Dec or in pixel coordinates, and at the position of each matched star, plot an arrow showing the delta-RA,delta-Dec.

If the SIP solution is wrong, you should see nearby arrows all pointing in the same direction, and then the direction slowly changing as you move around the image.

cheers,
dustin