RA&DEC residuals

Ning B

May 9, 2023, 11:37:45 PM5/9/23
to astrometry
I have some images ,FOV is 2.3°×1.5°
I use wcs-xy2rd to get the ra,dec (SIP=3),and crossmatch with gaiadr2 catalog
here is my residuals picture ,I can't explain this problem about ra's residual
thanks for your any help

0510.png

Dustin Lang

May 14, 2023, 4:29:56 AM5/14/23
to Ning B, astrometry
Hi,

You could try creating a "quiver plot" -- plot in RA,Dec or in pixel coordinates, and at the position of each matched star, plot an arrow showing the delta-RA,delta-Dec.

If the SIP solution is wrong, you should see nearby arrows all pointing in the same direction, and then the direction slowly changing as you move around the image.

cheers,
dustin

tano...@gmail.com

May 6, 2024, 3:34:08 AMMay 6
to astrometry
Hi Dustin, hi everyone

I recall an old issue about the ra dec residuals.
I have a question. Why the arrow should pointing in the same direction if the SIP solution is wrong?

Cheers
Gaetano

Dustin Lang

May 6, 2024, 2:49:05 PMMay 6
to tano...@gmail.com, astrometry
Hi,
Have a look at the attached plot.  See that the matched quadrangle of stars is in the top-left corner, and the SIP solution is not good.  The further away from the matched quad, the worse the matches are, and if you looked at the distance from the red circles to the green circles, in a little area of the image, those vectors are all in the same direction.
Hope that helps,
cheers,
dustin

apod4-indx.png

Gaetano Zarcone

May 6, 2024, 5:18:44 PMMay 6
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Ok.
I think I got it, but just for a confirm from you: by seeing the attached plot, would you say that the SIP solution is good?.
This is the result of a field solving of a wide fov with tweak order 5
dRadDecArrow_img1.png

cheers
Gaetano

Dustin Lang

May 7, 2024, 9:38:39 AMMay 7
to Gaetano Zarcone, astrometry
Hi,

To my eye, I don't see any coherent shifts.  With a good 5th-order SIP fit, the residuals would be 6th order and higher.

In that plot, did you make all the vectors the same length?

cheers,
dustin

Gaetano Zarcone

May 7, 2024, 4:59:17 PMMay 7
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Hi Dustin,

yes the vectors have same length.
I update the plot, see the one attached. here each vecto is proportional to the ra dec residuals (in arcseconds) and multiplied by 50 in order to have a better visualization
dRadDecArrow_img1.png
what do you think?

cheers,
Gaetano

Dustin Lang

May 8, 2024, 11:43:53 AMMay 8
to Gaetano Zarcone, astrometry
That looks fine -- no large-scale coherent patterns that I can see!

Gaetano Zarcone

May 9, 2024, 2:45:16 AMMay 9
to Dustin Lang, astrometry
Ok