installing indexes

Mariana Rubet

Nov 10, 2021, 11:56:56 AM11/10/21
to astrometry
Hello,
Im following the instructions on the website http://astrometry.net/doc/readme.html. I downloaded the indexes and placed them in a folder called "data" in the same directory that I downloaded Astrometry. When I run "make install-indexes" on the terminal, I get an error message

  "make: *** No rule to make target 'install-indexes'. Stop"

Am I doing something wrong? Here go the screenshots
website.odg
terminal.odg

Dustin Lang

Nov 10, 2021, 12:02:35 PM11/10/21
to Mariana Rubet, astrometry
Hi,

To use "make install-indexes", you must be in the top-level astrometry code directory (the directory containing README.md, CREDITS, etc), and the index files must be in that same directory (not data/).

OR, If you installed the astrometry software in /usr/local/astrometry, then just copy the index* files into /usr/local/astrometry/data

cheers,
--dustin

Mariana Rubet

Nov 10, 2021, 2:16:38 PM11/10/21
to astrometry
Hi Dustin,
I'm trying to run a demo that uses indexes 203 to 205 (it's 4203 to 4205, right?) and the message appears that I need to list at least 1 index in the etc/astrometry.cfg file. I updated this file, but it looks like something is wrong. I've listed the indexes by filenames with ".fits" and without ".fits" and neither way is working
3.odg
2.odg
1.odg

Dustin Lang

Nov 10, 2021, 2:25:07 PM11/10/21
to Mariana Rubet, astrometry
Hi,

In the etc/astrometry.cfg file, you'll need to edit the "add_path" line at the top -- probably to /usr/local/astrometry/data

I thought it tried to read the file /usr/local/astrometry/etc/astrometry.cfg first, though?

cheers,
--dustin

Mariana Rubet

Nov 11, 2021, 12:17:41 PM11/11/21
to astrometry
I placed the indexes on the top level astrometry code directory (path /home/dell/astrometry.net-0.85). I've edited the "add_path" line of the file /home/dell/astrometry.net-0.85/etc/astrometry.cfg but it still can't find the indexes. Here go the screenshots of the file astrometry.cfg, my top level astrometry code directory and terminal
astrometry_cfg.odg
terminal.odg
astrometry top level directory.odg

Dustin Lang

Nov 11, 2021, 12:29:29 PM11/11/21
to Mariana Rubet, astrometry
Hi,

It looks like you installed the code (it's running /usr/bin/astrometry-engine), so it's going to look for the astrometry.cfg file first in /usr/etc/astrometry.cfg, then /etc/astrometry.cfg.  It's not going to look in your current directory or ./etc/astrometry.cfg, unless you tell it which config file to read, using

solve-field --config etc/astrometry.cfg

You can add the "-v" flag to solve-field to get "verbose" output, including a line like this that tells you which config file it's reading:

Solving...
Running:
  /usr/local/bin/astrometry-engine --verbose /Users/dstn/astrometry/demo/apod4.axy
Using config file "/usr/local/bin/../etc/astrometry.cfg"

cheers,
--dustin