RuntimeError: Post of job failed

Astro Roe

Jun 25, 2024, 1:45:49 PMJun 25
to astrometry
Hello,

just experimenting with a py pipeline which includes astroquery.astrometry_net.

The following statement

wcs_header = ast.solve_from_source_list(sources_df['x_APT'], sources_df['y_APT'], width, height, solve_timeout=360)

worked until 2024-06-19. After that time every submission ends with "RuntimeError: Post of job failed".  Nothing changed on coding side.

Last successful submission for me was 2024-06-19 04:53 with submission id 10047518 ( image10194769).

is there a limited number of submissions per account?

did something get stuck? -> if yes, how can I solve this ( clear submissions? )

Any help is appreciated,

Mario

Dustin Lang

Jun 25, 2024, 1:59:59 PMJun 25
to Astro Roe, astrometry
Hi,

I just tested the astrometry.net stand-alone python client script, and it works.  That "Post of job failed" message must be coming from the astroquery code, is my guess.  I don't know what that means.  Nothing has changed on the server side, and things seem to be operating normally

Do you have a submission ID for one of your stuck jobs?  Or, if you just log in to nova.astrometry.net (with the same account as the API key you're using), does "My images" show any of your recent uploads?  My guess is no, for some reason astroquery is failing to submit the images correctly.  Maybe something different about the source lists you're submitting?  Do they have NaNs in them or something like that, so something goes wrong with the encoding?

cheers,
dustin

Astro Roe

Jun 25, 2024, 2:42:03 PMJun 25
to astrometry
Hi Dustin,

thanks for the quick reply. As you guessed: none of the recent lists appear in "my images". So you're probably right that there must be a difference
in the submitted lists.  I'll have a detailed look and let you know.

Mario

Astro Roe

Jun 25, 2024, 2:54:35 PMJun 25
to astrometry
hello Dustin,

issue solved! Changed the parameter for IRAFStarFinder ( photutils ) so it gets not ~66k objects but 26k and it works.

I have to take a more detailed look on the parameters which where from other images.

Thanks again for your hint!

Mario

Dustin Lang

Jun 25, 2024, 2:57:16 PMJun 25
to Astro Roe, astrometry
Oh, interesting!  I wonder if there's a maximum POST size somewhere along the way.  I can't imagine Astrometry.net looking at more than 1,000 stars, so if you can sort by brightness and cut your source list, you'll probably be better off.

cheers,
dustin