Matching Satellite Tracks To Star Chart

Charles Phillips

Apr 8, 2023, 3:34:26 PM4/8/23
to astrometry
I have several questions - if there is anyone in Houston, Texas who could answer some questions I would love to talk to them.

I am an amateur satellite tracker and have used Astrometry.net for a couple of years, I submit a .jpg and get a .fits that I put into SAO Image DS9 to get Right Ascension and Declination for satellites. The .jpg comes from photos taken with my (older) Nikon D200.

My first question is: is it possible to take my resolved photo and put it on a star chart so I can match a predicted path (from Heaven's Above for instance) and my observed path? This would help me avoid mis-identifications. If I could copy the image and zoom in/out so that I could read the names of the stars, that would help.

I see how to get predicted paths from Heaven's Above, and see that my resolved photo does go through the right constellations.

Thank you!

Charles
phillips.david.charles at gmail.com

Dustin Lang

Apr 10, 2023, 8:31:35 AM4/10/23
to Charles Phillips, astrometry
Hi,
The "view in World Wide Telescope" or "KMZ (Google Sky)" links might do what you want?
cheers,
dsutin

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dustin Lang

Apr 12, 2023, 7:11:21 PM4/12/23
to Charles Phillips, astrometry
Yes, if you upload your image at nova.astrometry.net and it solves, on the results page click the "view in WorldWide Telescope" and it will open the WWT web client, and zoom over to your image's location on the sky.  The thing I mostly do is use the "image crossfade" slider that lets you either see the WWT's images (or constellation overlays), or your image.

And yes, I totally agree that the WWT user interface is very dense!

cheers,
dustin

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 6:55 PM Charles Phillips <phillips.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dustin -

I have seen WWT before but the directions are dense (for a newbie like me). Can I take a .jpg or a .fits and overlay it?

Charles
amateur astronomer, writes C++, orbital analyst
2.jpg
1.jpg
Message has been deleted

Dustin Lang

Apr 14, 2023, 7:43:41 AM4/14/23
to Charles Phillips, astrometry
Oh, and by the way, the Google Sky app (using the kmz link) lets you do a similar cross-fade thing with your images on a sky rendering.  But it does require you to install Google Earth/Sky on your computer.  If I remember correctly, the interface is a bit less cluttered than WorldWide Telescope.

cheers,
dustin

On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 7:41 AM Charles Phillips <phillips.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dustin -

Thanks! I have been submitting my jpgs via a Terminal script and do not normally go to the Astrometry site. I will give that a try.

And, as you say, these are going into moderation but it says that they were deleted. I should have figured that it meant into moderation since that is very common.

Charles