plotted name string with too many names

Michael Hans

Sep 23, 2023, 10:10:42 AM9/23/23
to astrometry
first many thanks to Dustin who gave me some first aid for fixing some things

i could get the coordinates reasonable right with
solve-field --scale-units focalmm --scale-high 20 --crpix-center --downsample 2 --overwrite image_file.jpg

still funny is that without "--downsample 2" it may fail, funny because it doesn't matter how large the file is, whether it is 6000px wide or 2000px wide, without downsampling it takes time and might fail, so there is some other magic in downsampling?

and the plotted result with
astro-plot --tcolor=grey --valign=C --halign=C --ms=0.01 --no-grid --no-ngc wcs_file image_file result_file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QEhRk6kLXk8bJuzXoTZWYkwvbtQwVcaz/view?usp=drive_link

happens that now I like to reduce the multi-names to just one star name to make it readable, certainly it doesn't matter for me which it is, I don't need scientific correctness

I thought I could fix it in plottann.py limiting to the first name in the array, but seems it is not enough

some help there, like quick fix? is it coming from the catalogs, or have I overseen something ?

thanks

Dustin Lang

Sep 23, 2023, 3:21:08 PM9/23/23
to Michael Hans, astrometry
Hi,

I think you will either need to edit the data file that has those names in it:

or change the code for how the labels are plotted (this is in C):

either way, you would then have to re-run "make" to recompile it.

cheers,
dustin

Michael Hans

Sep 23, 2023, 4:03:17 PM9/23/23
to astrometry

oh, I see, I should have asked before fiddling with the py script :)
but ok, now I understand it better

how is it done when submitting online to astronomy.net, there I get a quite crowdy, but still readable plot for images made with up to 28mm lens, only brighter stars from images 24mm and almost only constellation lines on photos made with 20mm lens, can you say?

paul.l...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2023, 9:03:14 AM9/24/23
to astrometry
Some "magic with downsampling?" I have discovered is that it tends to get rid of bright pixels which may just be noise and which confuse the source extraction. No idea whether this is applicable in your case. Because my images are oversampled I tend to use "-z 4" to reduce the size of the image and the number of detections.

Michael Hans

Sep 24, 2023, 9:05:15 AM9/24/23
to astrometry
after thinking it over, I guess the data files shouldn't be touched, would be too specific

the plotannotations.c has string.h already included, so it would be easy to trim the label to first word, but guess it also wouldn't be very wise

instead, trimming the label in plotann.py with something like

"unique_starname = label.split(' ', 1)[0].split('/', 1)[0]"

would be more flexible and eventually useful to create a routine to make it a new option

any thoughts?

Michael Hans

Sep 24, 2023, 9:08:27 AM9/24/23
to astrometry
interesting, I will try that
thanks

Dustin Lang

Sep 24, 2023, 10:34:18 AM9/24/23
to Michael Hans, astrometry
Hi,

I just committed a change (including some changes to the "plotstuff.i" that will mean you have to "make py" to rebuild it) that shows how you could move the bright-star plotting into the plotann.py layer.

This plotting code is a bit complicated, because there is a C layer called "plotstuff", that is wrapped so it can be used from Python, using Swig in plotstuff.i, but also with another Python layer in "plotstuff.py"!

Hope that helps,
--dustin

Michael Hans

Sep 24, 2023, 2:37:42 PM9/24/23
to astrometry
something must have gone wrong, solve-field now returns
solve-field.c:149:append_executable Error, couldn't find executable "astrometry-engine"
path is ok
doesn't matter executing within astrometry/bin, or any other possible way, inparallel enabled or not

about plotann.py which works
I was there already, but still certain names are with 2or 3 names separated with / like Betelgeuse for example
kind of stuck on this

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16qCSA3ZTcslI4njI-wvF6ZYy545gyZnm/view?usp=sharing